- Laikipia leads here. For the people who gave the region the name, see Laikipiak people. For oher uses, see Laikipia (disambiguation)
Location in Kenya
|Formed||March 4th 2013|
|Capital||presently Nanyuki proposed Rumuruti|
|• Governor||Ndiritu Muriithi|
|• Total||8,696.1 km2 (3,357.6 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
Laikipia County is one of the 47 counties of Kenya, located on the Equator in the former Rift Valley Province of the country. Laikipia is a cosmopolitan county and is county number 31. The county has two major urban centres: Nanyuki to the southeast, and Nyahururu to the southwest. Its capital is Rumuruti. The County lies between latitudes 0° 18” South and 0° 51” North and between longitude 36° 11” and 37° 24’ East. It borders Samburu County to the North, Isiolo County to the North East, Meru County to the East, Nyeri County to the South East, Nyandarua County to the South, Nakuru County to the South West and Baringo County to the West.
The county encompasses the high, dry Laikipia Plateau, and has a cool, temperate climate with both rainy and dry seasons. The county borders Nyandarua, Nyeri, Samburu and Baringo counties.
Laikipia county has a total population of 518,560 of which 259,440 are males, 259,102 females and 18 intersex persons. There are 149,271 household with an average household size of 3.4 persons per household and a population density 54 people per square kilometre.
Administrative and Political units
There are five sub counties, fifteen county assembly wards, fifty two locations.
- Laikipia Central
- Laikipia East
- Laikipia North
- Laikipia West
- Nyahururu (previously mistaken to Nyandarua county)
Ndiritu Muriithi governor and replaced the first governor Joshua Irungu, He is deputised by John Mwaniki Mathenge. John Kinyua Nderitu is the senator and joined office in 2017 after replacing the first senator Godfrey Gitahi Kariuki. Catherine Wanjiku Waruguru is the second women representative to hold office after Jane Machira Appolos who was first elected in 2013.
For Laikipia County, the County Executive Committee comprises:-
|The Deputy Governor||1|
|The County Secretary||1|
|The CEC Members||10|
Members of Parliament 2017-2022 (Laikipia County)
- Hon. Ali, Amin Deddy Mohamed of Jubilee Party Member of Parliament Laikipia East Constituency
- Hon. Mariru, Patrick Kariuki of Jubilee Party Member of Parliament Laikipia West Constituency
- Hon. Korere, Sarah Paulata of Jubilee Party Member of Parliament Laikipia North Constituency.
There are 600 ECD centres 304 primary schools and 99 secondary schools. The county has also 4 teachers training colleges, 9 Youth Polytechnics, 94 adult training institutions and 2 universities.
There are a total of 100 health facilities in the county with one county referral hospital. County has 883 health personnel of different cadre.
The HIV prevalence rate stands at 3.2 per cent.
Transport and Communication
There are 19 Post Offices with 2,299 installed letter boxes, 2,079 rented letter boxes and 220 vacant letter boxes.
|* Laikipia CIDP 2015 projections. Source: |
|* 1999 census. Sources: , ,|
The county has three constituencies:
- Samburu County
- Isiolo County
- Meru County
- Nyeri County
- Nyandarua County
- Nakuru County
- Baringo County
- Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs – Kenya AdminLevels 1-4
- Laikipia County County Integrated Development Plan
- MUNYEKI, JAMES. "Laikipia county headquaters [sic] to be moved to Rumuruti". The Standard. Retrieved 28 May 2020.
- Laikipia County Integrated Development Plan CIDP 2018-2022. Laikipia County Government. 2018. p. 13.
- Laikipia, County Government of. "Living in Laikipia". County Government of Laikipia. Retrieved 28 May 2020.
- 2019 Kenya Population and House Census: Volume 1- Population by County and Sub-county. Kenya National Bureau of Statistics. 2019. pp. 17, 19, 20. ISBN 9789966102096.
- interior_admin. "Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government". interior.go.ke. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "Publications". Kenya National Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "The Report of the Interim Independent Boundaries Review Commission (IIBRC): Delimitation of Constituencies and Recommendations on Local Authority Electoral Units and Administrative Boundaries for Districts and Other Units" (PDF). IEBC. 2010. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "Governors & Deputy Governors". cog.go.ke. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "Ndiritu Muriithi". Mzalendo. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "Members of the Senate | The Kenyan Parliament Website". www.parliament.go.ke. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "John Kinyua Nderitu". Mzalendo. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "Women Representatives | KEWOPA KENYA". Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "Catherine Wanjiku Waruguru". Mzalendo. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "179. County executive committees - Kenya Law Reform Commission (KLRC)". www.klrc.go.ke. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "Amin Deddy Mohamed Ali". Mzalendo. Retrieved 30 May 2020.
- "Hon. Ali, Amin Deddy Mohamed | The Kenyan Parliament Website". www.parliament.go.ke. Retrieved 30 May 2020.
- "Patrick Kariuki Mariru". Mzalendo. Retrieved 30 May 2020.
- "Hon. Mariru, Patrick Kariuki | The Kenyan Parliament Website". www.parliament.go.ke. Retrieved 30 May 2020.
- "Sara Paulata Korere". Mzalendo. Retrieved 30 May 2020.
- "Hon. Korere, Sarah Paulata | The Kenyan Parliament Website". www.parliament.go.ke. Retrieved 30 May 2020.
- Laikipia, County Government of. "Education & Social Development". County Government of Laikipia. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- County Statistical Abstract Laikipia County 2015. Kenya National Bureau of Statistics. 2015. pp. 26, 27, 28, 29.
- "Second County Integrated Development Plan 2018-2022" (PDF). Laikipia County Government. 2018. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "Kenya HIV Estimates Report 2018" (PDF). National AIDS Control Council. 2018. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "Kenya Rural Roads Authority". www.kerra.go.ke. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "Kenya Urban Roads Authority". kura.go.ke. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- KENYA: Administrative Division population statistics