Kevin James (broadcaster)
|President, Los Angeles Board of Public Works|
2013 – Present
|Political party||Democratic (until 2002; 2019—present)|
|Residence||Los Angeles, California|
|Alma mater||University of Oklahoma|
University of Houston Law Center
Kevin Lee James (born 1963) was a candidate in the 2013 Los Angeles mayoral election and a former Assistant U.S. Attorney for Southern California. Prior to his mayoral campaign, James was an American radio host and political commentator, focused on local and national politics. The program aired on KRLA AM 870 in Los Angeles between 12 a.m. and 3 a.m. on weekdays. Since 2007, Kevin James has focused almost exclusively on local, non-partisan issues that affect residents in Los Angeles.
He was appointed by Mayor of Los Angeles Eric Garcetti as President of the Los Angeles Board of Public Works, in 2013. James continues to serve in that role and as Director of the Los Angeles Mayor's Office of Film and Television since 2015.
James earned an undergraduate degree from the University of Oklahoma where he was a President's Leadership Scholar and attended the University of Houston Law Center. He is a member of the California State Bar.
Assistant U.S. Attorney
James worked for three years as an Assistant U.S. Attorney, prosecuting federal crimes. During his tenure as assistant U.S. Attorney, James received the Director's Award for Superior Performance. He also worked for more than 20 years in private practice, representing entertainment industry clients.
Talk show host
After several years as a guest and substitute host for talk radio programs in Los Angeles, James worked as the morning drive host on KTOK AM 1000 in Oklahoma City in 2004. In 2005, James became the host of Red Eye Radio, an overnight (1 a.m. to 5 a.m.) call-in program on KABC (AM) 790 in Los Angeles. He focused on both local and national issues. Over Memorial Day Weekend 2007, James began hosting The Kevin James Show on KRLA AM 870 in Los Angeles.
James also appears as a guest commentator on television news programs. He was a regular on Court TV’s now-cancelled Catherine Crier Live and has appeared numerous times on Hardball with Chris Matthews.
In 2010 James announced a neighborhood council tour in which he would visit over 45 neighborhood councils all across Los Angeles, taking their issues of concern directly to the airwaves. He launched TeamKevinJames, a website for his listener audience to follow his neighborhood council tour schedule and other local activity, learn his issues of top concern and communicate with him regularly. Since 2010 James has been supportive and involved with LA Clean Sweep, a non-partisan grassroots citywide coalition of community groups and activists working for change at City Hall in Los Angeles.
2013 Mayoral Run
James was a candidate for the 2013 Los Angeles mayoral election. James's campaign focused on fiscal accountability and transparency, including delegating power to the neighborhood councils and reducing business taxation. To further support his campaign focus in regards to transparency, James reminded Angelenos of a recent controversy which took place at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. He would have been the first openly gay mayor of Los Angeles. He finished third in the mayoral race held on March 5, 2013, in which only the top two candidates advanced to a runoff election.
President of the Los Angeles Board of Public Works
In July 2013, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti appointed his one-time mayoral rival Kevin James to a key City Hall position, giving him a job as a commissioner on the Board of Public Works. James, who decried City Hall corruption and incompetence during his bid for Los Angeles mayor earlier in the year, said he would focus on street improvements and sidewalks in his new position. The commissioners meet three times a week at City Hall and serve collectively as the general managers of the Department of Public Works, which oversees city services such as lighting, beautification and street services. James was then chosen unanimously to preside over the powerful five-member board as President.
Director of the Los Angeles Mayor's Office of Film and Television
In March 2015, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti named Kevin James to the post of chief film liaison. James continues to serve in his role as President of the Board of Public Works, and is also now the City Hall point person on film and TV production.
- "Kevin James, Board Of Public Works Commissioner, Accepts Post By Former Rival And New Mayor Eric Garcetti". Huffington Post. 2013-07-13.
- James, Kevin (1 July 2019). "Making the Switch from Republican to Democrat". Medium. Retrieved 3 July 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Los Angeles Magazine - Google Boeken. February 2002. Retrieved 2013-12-03. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Kevin James Biography". KRLA. 2008. Archived from the original on 2008-07-21. Retrieved 2008-05-17. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- The State Bar of California. "California Bar Membership". Members.calbar.ca.gov. Retrieved 2013-12-03. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Kevin James Named New Host of Talkradio 790 KABC's Red Eye Radio" Archived 2007-09-28 at the Wayback Machine, KABC March 3, 2005 press release
- "KRLA Website". Archived from the original on July 4, 2007. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Kevin James Show". Townhall.com. 2013-11-18. Retrieved 2013-12-03. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
-  In this NBC News video, host Chris Matthews ends the segment by stating that James won the debate regarding the negative political impact of Barack Obama's affiliation with Rev. Jeremiah Wright
- Neighborhood Council Tour
- "L.A. Cleansweep". L.A. Cleansweep. Retrieved 2013-12-03. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Kevin on City Issues". Kevin James for Mayor 2013. Retrieved March 6, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Regardie, Jon (June 18, 2012). "Kevin James is the Man Who Would be King". The Regardie Report. Los Angeles Downtown News. Retrieved March 6, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Macdonald, Patrick Range (March 23, 2011). "Kevin James Los Angeles Mayoral Candidate Reconfirms He's A Gay Republican". "The Informer" blog. LA Weekly. Archived from the original on October 7, 2012. Retrieved March 6, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Mehta, Seema (March 6, 2013). "L.A. Votes: Dismal turnout puts Greuel and Garcetti in mayoral runoff, sales tax bombs". "L.A. Now" blog. The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 6, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Garcetti Appoints Former Rival". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2015-10-26. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Zahniser, David (2013-07-31). "Kevin James elected president of L.A. Board of Public Works". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035. Retrieved 2015-10-26.
- "Kevin James Named L.A. Chief Film Liaison". Variety. Retrieved 2015-10-26. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)