Khalid bin Sultan Al Qasimi (fashion designer)
Khalid bin Sultan Al Qasimi
|Born||6 April 1980|
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
|Died||1 July 2019 (aged 39)|
|Other names||Khalid Al Qasimi|
|Known for||Qasimi fashion label|
Khalid bin Sultan Al Qasimi (Arabic: خالد بن سلطان القاسمي) (6 April 1980 – 1 July 2019), known professionally as Khalid Al Qasimi, was an Emirati fashion designer in London who founded the Qasimi fashion label. He was the second son of Sultan bin Muhammad Al-Qasimi, who has been ruler of the Emirate of Sharjah since 1972.
Early life and education
Al Qasimi moved to London when he was nine years old and was educated at the Tonbridge School in Kent. In 2004, Al Qasimi won two golden prizes in the First Arab-Euro Festival for Photography which was organised by the Arab Photographers Union in Europe under the theme of "History, technique and heritage." Al Qasimi studied architecture and fashion design at Central Saint Martins in London.
He established the British clothing chain Qasimi Homme in 2008. There he was the founder and creative director. As fashion designer he is best known for having incorporated Arab elements in his male and female costume designs. Much of Al Qasimi's women's collection was inspired by the Gulf’s colourful jalabiya dresses. Al Qasimi said models should "resemble warriors walking out of a crypt and down the runway." His designs have been shown as part of London and Paris Fashion Weeks. Among some of the celebrities who have worn Qasimi outfits include Lady Gaga, Florence Welch and Cheryl Cole. In an interview with Japan Fashion TV Al Qasimi said: "Qasimi is a way for me to discuss what's going on around us whether it is politics or economics". Some of his designs include £115 ($144) T-shirt with the writing in Arabic, that read: "Press. Don't Shoot."
Al Qasimi was the chairman of the Sharjah Urban Planning Council as well as the leader of the region’s first international platform for architecture, the Sharjah Architecture Triennial - a non-profit initiative funded by the Government of Sharjah, to focus on encouraging dialogue on architecture and urbanism in the Middle East, North Africa, and South Asia - set to take place at the end of 2019.
Khalid bin Sultan Al Qasimi was the son of Sheikh Sultan bin Muhammad Al-Qasimi, the current ruler of Sharjah, and hailed from the emirate's royal Al Qasimi family. He had three sisters, one half sister and a half-brother, according to the official biography of Sharjah ruler Sheikh Sultan bin Mohamed Al Qasimi. His twin sister, Hoor bint Sultan Al Qasimi, is the director of the Sharjah Art Foundation.
Al Qasimi was found dead in his London penthouse apartment in Knightsbridge on 1 July 2019. Three days of national mourning across the UAE were declared, beginning with flags to be flown at half mast. He was laid to rest on the 3rd of July at Jubail Cemetery. His father posted images and a video of the funeral prayers on Instagram. During his funeral his father was flanked by his fellow rulers, including Sheikh Saud bin Saqr Al Qasimi, ruler of Ras Al Khaimah, Sheikh Humaid bin Rashid Al Nuaimi, ruler of Ajman, and Sheikh Ammar bin Humaid Al Nuaimi, Crown Prince of Ajman, Sheikh Saif bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Prime Minister and Minister of Interior, and Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, Minister of Tolerance.
- "Video: Sharjah Ruler's son Sheikh Khalid Bin Sultan laid to rest at Al Jubail Cemetery". www.gulftoday.ae. Retrieved 2019-07-08.
- John, Tara; Wojazer, Barbara (4 July 2019). "UAE prince and fashion designer Khalid Al Qasimi dies in unexplained circumstances". CNN. Retrieved 4 July 2019.
- "Khalid bin Sultan Al Qasimi wins two golden prizes in photography - UAE Interact".
- "The Hot Forty: Khalid Al Qasimi". gulfnews.com.
- "Qasimi: A new Emirati fashion label is born". Global Arab Network.
- Dubai's It Girl - The New Prince of Fashion: Sheikh Khalid Al Qasimi
- Khalid Al Qasimi interview with Fashion Tsushin, 23 April 2019
- Aidan Imanova: Son of Sharjah ruler; chairman of Sharjah Urban Planning Council, dies, MiddleEastArchitect.com, 3 Jul 2019
- Aidan Imanova: Sharjah Architecture Triennial to become first international platform on architecture in MENASA region, MiddleEastArchitect.com, 3 Apr 2018
- Conlon, Scarlett (2 July 2019). "Khalid Al Qasimi, UAE sheikh and fashion designer, dies aged 39" – via www.theguardian.com.
- Al-Qasimi, Sultan Muhammad (3 July 2019). حكام الشارقة وعجمان وأم القيوين ورأس الخيمة يؤدون صلاة الجنازة على جثمان خالد بن سلطان بن محمد القاسمي [Rulers of Sharjah, Ajman, Umm Al Quwain and Ras Al Khaimah perform funeral prayers on the body of Khalid bin Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi]. Instagram (in Arabic). Retrieved 4 July 2019.
- Ruler of Sharjah leads prayers at funeral of son Sheikh Khalid, The National. 3 July 2019.