King Bee (album)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Studio album by Muddy Waters|
|Muddy Waters chronology|
|The Village Voice||A–|
King Bee is the fourteenth and final studio album by blues singer and guitarist Muddy Waters. Released in 1981, it is third in a series of records done for the label Blue Sky Records under producer/guitarist Johnny Winter. Recorded in three days (and in the wake of Muddy's failing health) some of the band members, namely Winter and guitarist Bob Margolin, were not happy with the result. As his health deteriorated, Muddy was forced to cancel an increasing number of shows. He died of a heart attack on April 30, 1983.
The album was recorded in May 1980. A salary dispute between the band and Muddy Waters's manager, Scott Cameron, halted the session. Eventually the album was completed by using a couple of outtakes from 1977's Hard Again.
All songs written by McKinley Morganfield
- "King Bee" - 3:49
- "Too Young to Know" - 4:28
- "Mean Old Frisco Blues" - 3:44
- "Forever Lonely" - 4:33
- "I Feel Like Going Home" – 3:42
- "Champagne & Reefer" – 4:36
- "Sad Sad Day" – 5:22
- "(My Eyes) Keep Me in Trouble" – 3:16 (Hap Walker)
- "Deep Down in Florida #2" – 4:06 (James Burke O)
- "No Escape from the Blues" – 2:04 (Charles Williams)
- Muddy Waters – vocals, guitar
- Bob Margolin – guitar
- Pinetop Perkins – piano
- James Cotton – harmonica on "Deep Down in Florida" and "Clouds in My Heart"
- Jerry Portnoy - harmonica
- Willie "Big Eyes" Smith – drums
- Charles Calmese – bass on "Deep Down in Florida" and "Clouds in My Heart"
- Calvin Jones – bass
- Johnny Winter – guitar, producer
- Koda, Cub. "Review: King Bee". Allmusic. Retrieved February 24, 2011.
- Christgau, Robert (2004). "Muddy Waters: 'Hard Again'; 'I'm Ready'; 'King Bee'". Blender. New York (June/July). Retrieved September 26, 2015.
- Christgau, Robert (October 5, 1981). "Christgau's Consumer Guide". The Village Voice. New York. Retrieved September 26, 2015.