This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Klaus F. Obermeyer (born December 2, 1919 in Oberstaufen, Germany) is the founder of Sport Obermeyer, Ltd.
Obermeyer (left) with former Colorado State Senator Jean White in 2011.
|Founder||Klaus F. Obermeyer|
|Headquarters||Aspen, Colorado, U.S.|
|United States, Canada, Europe, Russia|
In 1947, Obermeyer arrived in Aspen, Colorado, where his friend Friedl Pfeiffer had opened the Aspen Ski School. Over the next twelve years, he spent his days working as a ski instructor on Aspen Mountain. He founded Sport Obermeyer based on insights he had gained about ski wear while working as an instructor and started the business in the attic of his home. There, one of the first of many innovations was born in the form of a down ski parka stitched together from his goose down comforter. After that came high-altitude suntan lotion, turtlenecks, nylon wind-shirts, mirrored sunglasses, the Boot Fit Press and more. In 1961, the first Sport Obermeyer factory warehouse opened in Aspen, and the innovations continued with “soft-shell” jackets, double lens goggles, the first waterproof, breathable fabrics, a built-in ski boot canting system and fashion-conscious skiwear.
German-born Obermeyer lives in Aspen, Colorado.
Klaus was inducted into the U.S. National Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame in 1997. In a news story published in early December, 2017, The Aspen Times reported that Obermeyer continues to work as his company's CEO and had just celebrated his 98th birthday.
Klaus Obermeyer was inducted into the Colorado Business Hall of Fame by Junior Achievement-Rocky Mountain and the Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce in 2015.
Klaus' innovations include, but aren't limited to:
- The quilted down parka. Stitched together from his own down comforter.
- Developed the first mirrored ski sunglasses from vaporized metal.
- Created the first nylon windshirt.
- With Friedl Pfeiffer developed the first high-altitude suntan lotion.
- Developed a dual layer ski boot. The first with a warm liner & a rigid exterior shell.
- Created the first turtlenecks with elasticized collars.
- Condon, Scott (2017-12-04). "Aspen's Klaus Obermeyer celebrates 98th birthday with business as usual". The Aspen Times. Retrieved 2018-02-26.