Knights of the Southern Cross
|Type||Catholic fraternal service|
|Headquarters||PO Box 216, Campbell, ACT, Australia, 2612|
|Patrick Minahan and Joseph Lynch|
The Knights of the Southern Cross (KSC) is a Catholic fraternal order committed to promoting the Christian way of life throughout Australia.
Branches operate in many Catholic Parishes throughout Australia and membership is open to Catholic men over the age of 18.
The order also established the non-profit aged care organisation, Southern Cross Care.
The objects of the order
- To promote the advancement of Australia
- To foster the Christian way of life throughout the nation
- To promote the welfare of members of the Order and their families
- To encourage spiritual, social and intellectual activities amongst members of the Order
- To conduct and support educational, charitable, religious and social welfare work
The Order was founded in 1919 in Sydney at a time when Catholics were regarded with suspicion by the Protestant majority in Australia. The two co-founders were Patrick Minahan, a boot manufacturer and member of the NSW Legislative Assembly, and Joseph Lynch, a school inspector. Within a year of its establishment over 1,000 men had joined the order from every state in Australia and a national council was established to oversee the organisation.
In the beginning it served to assist Catholic servicemen returned from the First World War in finding employment, and also to defend the rights and interests of the Catholic Church in Australia – a mission which it continues to promote today.
International Alliance of Catholic Knights
Through the International Alliance of Catholic Knights, the Knights of the Southern Cross are associated with the Knights of Columbus, the Knights of St Columbanus, the Knights of Da Gama, the Knights of Peter Claver, the Knights of the Southern Cross (New Zealand) and the Knights of Saint Columba.
Notes and references
- "Who we are". Knights of the Southern Cross - Australia. 2004. Archived from the original on 2007-08-29. Retrieved 2007-03-31.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-10-31. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- Baxter, Clifford, Reach for the Stars 1919-2009: NSW Knights of the Southern Cross Bold Men of Faith, Hope and Charity, Connor Court Publishing Pty Ltd, 2009, pages 47-49, ISBN 978-1921421-28-0.
- Baxter, Clifford, Reach for the Stars 1919-2009: NSW Knights of the Southern Cross Bold Men of Faith, Hope and Charity, Connor Court Publishing Pty Ltd, 2009, page 15, ISBN 978-1921421-28-0; C. Baxter, The Knights of the Southern Cross, Journal of the Australian Catholic Historical Society 31/2 (2010/11), 83-94.
|This article about a Christian organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|