Canisius College, Jakarta
|Type||Private, all-male High School|
|Motto||Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam (Latin)
For the Greater Glory of God
|Rector||P. Drs. Joannes Heru Hendarto, SJ, M.Ed
(2016 - present)
|Principal||Senior High School
P. Drs. Eduard Calistus Ratu Dopo, SJ, M.Ed (2016 - present)
Junior High School
R. Susanto Dwi Nugroho, S.Pd (2016 - present)
|Campus||Menteng Raya, Jakarta|
|Affiliation||Roman Catholic (Jesuit)|
The school has adopted several mottoes:
- Men for and with others
- Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam (For the Greater Glory of God)
- Competence, Conscience, Compassion, and Commitment (commonly known as "4C" in the school)
The school is led by a Rector, who oversees the Senior and Junior High School Directors (Principals). Each principal has three vice principals, one each for Curricular Affairs, General Affairs, and Student Affairs, the last one more commonly known as the Prefect inside the school. The Rector, Principals, and Prefects traditionally are ordained Jesuit priests.
Canisius' history began on October 26, 1926, with the arrival of Dr. J. Kurris, its first director. On June 1, 1927, the first class of AMS (Algemene Middelbare School) was started. The building of dormitories, hall, and tennis court was finished in July 1929, and on October 26, 1931 Canisius College achieved official status with the appointment of Fr. A. van Hoof, S.J., as its first rector.
During World War II, all activities were suspended and the college was used as a public high school. It was reopened on January 1, 1946.
In 1952, Canisius opened junior and senior high divisions. For 15 years (1952-1967), 90%-100% of students passed the national final examination. In 1967, the curriculum was changed and divided into three areas of study: culture-literature, social economics, and science. In 1974, the college implemented a point credit system.
As a private school, Canisius follows the Indonesia curriculum KTSP (Kurikulum Tingkat Satuan Pendidikan). In the high school, students are divided into two programs: Natural Science stream and Social Science stream. The Natural Science stream has five classes, while the Social Science stream has two classes, or seven classes in each of the three years.
Events held by the high school representative and Student Union include the Canisius College Education Fair, the Canisius College Cup, CASANOVA (Canisius Science, Art, and Language on Festival), and the Canisius Art Blast. Each year, Canisius Senior High sends its representatives to the International Science Olympiad.
- Akbar Tandjung, former speaker of the House of Representatives
- Sarwono Kusumaatmadja, Chief of Province's Representatives for National Council
- Rachmat Witoelar, former Minister of Ecology and Environment Welfare
- Muhammad Chatib Basri, former Minister of Finance
- Ginandjar Kartasasmita, former Minister of Finance
- Soe Hok Gie, activist and politic analyst
- Fauzi Bowo, Governor of Jakarta (2007-2012), Deputy governor of Jakarta (2002-2007)
- Arief Budiman, sociologist
- Letjen Erwin Sudjono, former commander of Kostrad, formal TNI General Chief of Staff
- Sofjan Wanandi, businessman, chief of Gemala Group
- Ananda Sukarlan, first Indonesian pianist carried in International Who's Who in Music
- Jusuf Wanandi
- Sehat Sutardja, co-founder of Marvell Technology Group, one of the richest men in the United States in 2007 by Forbes
- R. Budi Hartono, CEO of Djarum Cigarettes Company
- Rudy Suparman, CEO of Star Energy