29 September 1977
|Died||7 February 2008
Kunal (Hindi: कुणाल; 29 September 1977 – 7 February 2008) was an Indian actor who appeared in Tamil films. He is best known for his role in Kadhalar Dhinam (1999). His death in 2008 from apparent suicide garnered significant media attention.
After the release of Kadhalar Dhinam, Kunal appeared in a series of box office failures like Pesadha Kannum Pesume (2002) and Nanbanin Kadhali (2007). His other three box office successes were Paarvai Ondre Podhume (2001), Punnagai Desam (2002) and Devathayai Kanden (2005), with the latter featuring Kunal in a supporting role alongside Dhanush and Sridevi Vijayakumar. When he was unable to find roles as an actor, he served as assistant editor for several films and turned to producing.
On 7 February 2008, he was found hanging from a ceiling in his Mumbai apartment by actress Lavina Bhatia. The apparent suicide was challenged by his father Rajendra Singh who claimed the body showed signs of suspicious bruising. Bhatia was detained by police in connection with his death, but she was later released after the police could not prove a motive. The police were unable to prove any other persons were present in Kunal's apartment at the time of his death and therefore ruled out Bhatia as a suspect as Kunal had a black belt in karate; furthermore, he had attempted suicide by slashing his wrists several months earlier. At the time of his death, Kunal was working on a film, Yogi, which was being produced by his newly formed production company Balagiri. The case was referred to CBI, Prof T D Dogra of All India Institute of Medical Sciences, examined the scene of crime along with CBI, he opined in favor of suicide.
|2000||Dil Hi Dil Main||Raja||Hindi Remake Kadhalar Dhinam|
|2001||Paarvai Ondre Podhume||Vinod|
|Pesadha Kannum Pesume||Vikram|
|Enge Enadhu Kavithai||Babu|
|Sorry Enaku Kalyanamayidichu||Vijay|
- Renni Abraham (8 February 2008). "I saw actor Kunal Singh hanging, says friend". Daily News & Analysis. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- "Court orders CBI probe into actor's murder". Times of India. 18 December 2009. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- Jaidev Hemmady (8 December 2009). "Plot thickens in Bollywood murder mystery". Indian Express. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- "Actor found dead in Lokhandwala flat". Indian Express. 8 February 2008. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- "Bombay High Court,Ms.Lovina Pankaj Bhatia vs Central Bureau Of Investigation on 12 August, 2011". Bombay High Court. 12 August 2011. Retrieved 4 January 2014.