LPG (South Korean band)
|Some of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Lovely Pretty Girls|
|Years active||2005 - present|
LPG (Korean: 엘피지; an acronym for "Lovely Pretty Girls") is a South Korean girl group from that debuted in 2005 under Chan2 Productions inspired by the success of "semi-trot" singer Jang Yoon Jung. Their name showcases the fact that several of this group were pageant participants, with two of them even making it into the Miss Korea pageant. The three member group consists of Jiwon (leader), Riwon (main dancer) and Songha (rapper).
- 1 History
- 1.1 Debut
- 1.2 2006: Arm Pillow
- 1.3 2007: Princess of The Sea and Winter Story
- 1.4 2008: Line-up changes
- 1.5 2010: More line-up changes
- 1.6 2011: I'm Sorry I'm A Noona, Angry and Hiatus
- 1.7 2012: Semi's marriage
- 1.8 2013: Comeback as a 9-member group with Filial Daughters' Generation
- 1.9 2015: More Line-up changes and comeback as 4-member group with the Single Slowpoke
- 1.10 2016: Departure of Jieun
- 2 Members
- 3 Discography
- 4 Awards
- 5 References
Their first album, Long Pretty Girls, was released in fall of 2005. Although most of the record consists of dance tracks, their first (and only) single from the album was called "캉캉 (Can Can)" a song performed in the "Can-can style". The novelty of the song brought them a lot of attention from the press, but neither the song nor the album were commercially popular. However, it has been referenced and parodied by many Korean variety shows, including SBS's X-Man and KBS's Star Golden Bell.
2006: Arm Pillow
Their second album was released at the end of September 2006, accompanied by a sexier image. The first single, "팔베개" (literally Arm Pillow), is quite different than "Can Can", having more of a Latin feel and a more rhythmic beat. Although limited promotional activities were done, the album sold poorly, entering at No. 33 on the Music Industry Association of Korea's monthly sales chart with 2,359 copies sold; it has since dropped off the chart.
2007: Princess of The Sea and Winter Story
Even with poor sales of previous albums, LPG released a single in the summer of 2007. Titled "바다의 공주" ("Princess of the Sea"), it is a remake of comedian Park Myung-soo's "바다의 왕자" ("Prince of the Sea"); the release contains both versions. The group promoted this song during the summer of 2007.
On December 13, 2007, LPG released a winter single, entitled Winter Story. The first track, "스키장 가는 길" ("The Road to the Ski Hill"), was their first promotional single.
2008: Line-up changes
On March 19, 2008, it was announced that Hanyoung and Sooah would be leaving the group due to their individual projects; the management group said that new members would be chosen. In 2009 the band returned with new members.
2010: More line-up changes
In June 2010, Chani Music released a statement saying that DaEun had decided to leave the group to become an actress, and would be replaced by former A-Force member EunByul. Shortly afterwards, the group made their comeback with "Doorbell Of Love".
2011: I'm Sorry I'm A Noona, Angry and Hiatus
The group released their comeback song "I'm Sorry I'm A Noona" in January 2011, with the song being about a woman who laments the fact that the younger man she's interested in only sees her as a "noona", or older sister.
In February 2011, the group announced that they would be heading to Japan as enka singers (enka is a similar style of music to Korean trot). The statement read, "They’ve received love calls from three major Japanese distribution companies, which we are looking over now. We predict that finalization of details – such as their Japanese agency and album release – will be done as early as next month. We received a lot of contract offers due to the fact that there aren’t any young enka singers like LPG in Japan, or for that matter, any enka singers made up into teams, so there’s a high potential for success."
On May 12, 2011, former member YoonAh released a solo single titled "I'll Forget You". The video contained a "love scene" that many people found controversial, resulting in the company releasing a statement, saying "We put the bed scene in to represent two lovers that are deeply in love with each other and having a heart fluttering night. Don’t just look at that one part but rather the content in its whole."
2012: Semi's marriage
On September 18, 2012, Semi announced that she would be marrying musical actor Min Woo Hyuk in November of that year. The ceremony was hosted by Kim Je-dong, while The One, Go Yoo Jin, and 8eight sang the congratulatory song.
2013: Comeback as a 9-member group with Filial Daughters' Generation
On September 16, it was announced that the group would make a comeback in October of that year after a 2-year hiatus with mini album "효녀시대" (Romanized: "Hyo Nyeo Shi Dae"; English: "Filial Daughters' Generation") and new line-up. The new line-up consists of 9 members: Rahi, Rika, Lani, Jiwon, Yuju, Riwon, Songha, Ahyul, and Jieun.
2015: More Line-up changes and comeback as 4-member group with the Single Slowpoke
After almost 2 years it was announced that the members Rahi, Rika, Lani, Juju and Ahyul left the group. The remaining 4 members Jiwon, Jieun, Riwon and Songha were preparing to release a new song in August. The group made its comeback as a quartet releasing the song "Slowpoke" on August 15, 2015 .
2016: Departure of Jieun
In July 2016 it was announced Jieun has left the group and the company and joined girlgroup RaNia under the company DR Music.
- Jiwon [지원] (Leader, Main Vocalist and Dancer)
- Songha [송하] (Rapper, Vocalist and Dancer)
- Riwon [리원] (Main Dancer and Vocalist)
- Hanyoung (한영)
- Yeonoh (연오)
- Sooah (수아)
- Yoonah (윤아)
- Daeun (다은)
- Yumi (유미)
- Semi (세미)
- Gayoung (가영)
- Suyun (수윤)
- Eunbyul (은별)
- Rahee (라희)
- Rika (리카)
- Lani (라니)
- Yuju (유주)
- Ahyul (아율)
- Jieun (지은)
- Long Pretty Girls (2005)
- LPG2 (2006)
- Lucky Girl (2009)
- LPG – LPG The Special Album (2011)
- Filial Daughters' Generation (2013)
- "Princess of the Sea" (Korean: 바다의 공주), released July 12, 2007
- "The Road to the Ski Hill" (Korean: 스키장 가는 길), released December 13, 2007
- "Pow Pow" (Korean: 빵야빵야), released December 16, 2013
- "Slowpoke" (Korean: 느림보), released September 10, 2015
|2007||Mnet Asian Music Awards||Best Female Group||"Princess Of Sea"||Nominated|
- 10월 가요음반 판매량집계
- 11월 가요음반 판매량집계
- (Korean) Korea News. 한영-수아, LPG 탈퇴..5월께 2기로 재탄생. March 19, 2008. Retrieved March 19, 2008.
- "LPG". KBS World. Retrieved 28 January 2013.
- "LPG to make their return". allkpop.com. 2010-06-24. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
-  Archived October 21, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- "LPG reveals "I'm Sorry That I'm a Nuna" music video!". allkpop.com. 2011-01-14. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- "LPG to advance into Japan as enka singers". allkpop.com. 2011-02-25. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- "LPG releases "We No Speak Americano" remake, "Angry"". allkpop.com. 2011-03-16. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- "LPG's Heo Yoon Ah Solo Debut MV Released". allkpop.com. 2011-05-12. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- "LPG's Semi and musical actor Min Woo Hyuk to tie the knot this November". allkpop.com. 2012-09-18. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- "Girl group LPG return with new members after 2-year hiatus with mini album 'Filial Daughters' Generation'". allkpop.com. 2013-11-09. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- "2007 Mnet KM Music Festival Part1". MAMA. Retrieved 2014-12-14.