We No Speak Americano
|"We No Speak Americano"|
|Single by Yolanda Be Cool and DCUP|
|Released||27 February 2010|
|Label||Sweat It Out!|
|Yolanda Be Cool singles chronology|
"We No Speak Americano" is a song by Australian band Yolanda Be Cool and producer DCUP. It was released on the independent Australian label Sweat It Out on 27 February 2010. The song samples the 1956 Italian (though sung in the Neapolitan language) song "Tu Vuò Fà L'Americano" by Renato Carosone, written by Carosone and Nicola Salerno. "We No Speak Americano" became a hit in Europe, Australia, and Latin America (where the song is also known as Pa-Panamericano) as well as a top 40 hit in the U.S. and Canada. It also won the 2010 ARIA award for "Best Dance Release." The song has sold over 1 million digital copies in the United States as of 10 April 2011.
The song was featured on the soundtrack of the 2011 films The Inbetweeners Movie and Hop, the 2012 film Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted, the 2013 film The Great Beauty and the 2018 film Peter Rabbit. It also featured in Episode 2 of the 2011 Korean drama adaptation City Hunter and on the video games Zumba Fitness 2 and Just Dance 4. "We No Speak Americano" was later sampled by Cuban American rapper Pitbull for his Spanish-language tune "Bon, Bon", crediting Yolanda Be Cool and DCUP as producers of his song. American gymnast Gabby Douglas used the song in her gold medal-winning final floor routine at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.
- 1 Composition
- 2 Music video
- 3 Cover versions
- 4 Credits and personnel
- 5 Charts and certifications
- 6 Other versions
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
The official music video for the song, directed by Andy Hylton is a take on classic silent film comedies and features a Chaplinesque Italian protagonist in New York City, in a bid to raise some quick cash to propose to the young woman that he met earlier in the video.
This music video appeared in an episode of Beavis and Butthead.
- The Chipettes covered this song for the Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked: Music from the Motion Picture album and in Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked. This version is mashed with Miami Sound Machine's "Conga".
- For the video game Just Dance 4, a cover by in-house artists was produced. Said artists are credited as "Hit the Electro Beat". The same name was later used for the cover of "Blue (Da Ba Dee)" in Just Dance 2018, then of "Mi Mi Mi" in Just Dance 2019.
Credits and personnel
- Lead vocals — Yolanda Be Cool
- Lyrics — Johnson Peterson, Sylvester Martinez, Duncan Maclennan, Renato Carosone, Nicola Salerno
- Producer — Johnson Peterson, Sylvester Martinez, Duncan Maclennan
- Mastering engineer — Robin Petras (PureFocus Mastering)
Charts and certifications
This section needs additional citations for verification. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Marco Calliari version
In the UK, a cover version sung by Quebec-born Italian singer-songwriter Marco Calliari entered the Singles Chart peaking at number twenty-six.
In Russia, a parody version of the track appeared in the summer 2010, with vocals in Russian by the band Трикотаж (Knit-Wear) featuring Dj Solovey. This version was entitled Подзаебало (Sick of it), with the lyrics па-падзаебало mirroring pa-parle americano of the original. The new lyrics make references to the record heat wave in Russia of summer 2010, The Twilight Saga, Lady Gaga, and other current socio-cultural events.
"Por Panamericana" and "El Chocoano"
In Argentina, various parody versions of the song were made. Among them, one resulted in very successful hit, that would even be played at discos as a companion for the original song. The best-known version is called "Por Panamericana", and the voice recorded on the record tell a story about being stopped by the police at the Panamerican Highway for speeding. Los Cantores de Chipuco (Colombia) also made their own parody of this song, called "El Chocoano".
"Bi Bi pro Americano"
Hand dance video
In July 2010, Irish dancers Suzanne Cleary and Peter Harding (who perform as the group Up and Over It) released a music video filmed by Jonny Reed. Using "We No Speak Americano" as background music, the video features Cleary and Harding performing an elaborately choreographed tabletop dance using only their hands and arms, and wearing deadpan expressions throughout the song. By November 2016 it had been watched 9.9 million times.
"We No Speak Huttese"
A parody of the song titled "We No Speak Huttese" can be found in Kinect Star Wars for the Xbox 360 Kinect peripheral. It is featured in the Galactic Dance Off mini game. The vocals are replaced with Jabba the Hutt's and the instrumentals are replaced with the Max Rebo band.
"Angry (We No Speak Americano)"
Korean idol group LPG covered the song in 2011. Their company, Chan Music, said "LPG came up with new sounds and new lyrics for their remake titled 'Angry.' There were a lot of artists in Korea that wanted to remake the track, but through long and consistent effort, LPG has earned the rights to remake it."
- "Yolanda Be Cool - Biography & History - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 26 August 2017.
- "We No Speak Americano: conozca a los autores de la canción del momento | RPP NOTICIAS". Rpp.com.pe. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- Grein, Paul (13 April 2011). "Week Ending April 10, 2011. Songs: It's Katy's World | Chart Watch - Yahoo! Music". New.music.yahoo.com. Retrieved 14 March 2012.
- Carosone, Renato. "Yolanda Be Cool "We No Speak Americano" Sheet Music in Bb Minor (transposable) - Download & Print". Musicnotes.com. Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- "We No Speak Americano - Original Version - Yolanda Be Cool, DCup - Spot On Track". www.spotontrack.com. Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- "PureFocus Mastering: Summer 2010 Be Cool".
- "Australian-charts.com – Yolanda Be Cool & DCup – We No Speak Americano". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Yolanda Be Cool & DCup – We No Speak Americano" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Yolanda Be Cool & DCup – We No Speak Americano" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Yolanda Be Cool & DCup – We No Speak Americano" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "WEEK34 23.08-29.08.2010" Airplay Top 5. Bulgarian Association of Music Producers.
- "Yolanda Be Cool & DCup Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: Change the chart to CZ – RADIO – TOP 100 and insert 201031 into search.
- "Danishcharts.com – Yolanda Be Cool & DCup – We No Speak Americano". Tracklisten.
- "Yolanda Be Cool & DCUP – Chart Search" Billboard European Hot 100 Singles for Yolanda Be Cool & DCUP. (subscription required)
- "Yolanda Be Cool & DCup: We No Speak Americano" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Lescharts.com – Yolanda Be Cool & DCup – We No Speak Americano" (in French). Les classement single.
- "lescharts.com – Français" (in French). Les classement de telechargement single.
- "Musicline.de – Yolanda Be Cool & Dcup Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Dance Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Chart Track: Week 29, 2010". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Yolanda – We No Speak Americano Media Forest". Israeli Airplay Chart. Media Forest.
- "Italiancharts.com – Yolanda Be Cool & DCup – We No Speak Americano". Top Digital Download.
- "Luxembourg Digital Songs - August 7, 2010". Billboard.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Yolanda Be Cool & DCup" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.nz – Yolanda Be Cool & DCup – We No Speak Americano". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Yolanda Be Cool & DCup – We No Speak Americano". VG-lista.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Dance Top 50.
- "Top 5 Airplay TV". Polish Video Chart. ZPAV. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "3.08.2010". Archived from the original on 2 August 2010. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Media Forest – Weekly Charts. Media Forest. 2 August 2010. Retrieved 2 July 2018. Note: Romanian and international positions are rendered together by the number of plays before resulting an overall chart.
- "Media Forest – Weekly Charts. Media Forest. 21 June 2010. Retrieved 3 July 2018. Note: Select 'Songs – TV'. Romanian and international positions are rendered together by the number of plays before resulting an overall chart.
- Российские музыкальные чарты. Неделя 38 - 2012 (in Russian). Lenta.ru. 6 July 2012. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201032 into search.
- "Digital Chart – Week 8 of 2011" (in Korean). Gaon Digital Chart. Retrieved 9 September 2019.
- "GAON International Chart 1.1.2011". Retrieved 11 April 2011.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Yolanda Be Cool & DCup – We No Speak Americano" Canciones Top 50.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Yolanda Be Cool & DCup – We No Speak Americano". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Yolanda Be Cool vs DCup – We No Speak Americano". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Official Dance Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Yolanda Be Cool & DCup Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Yolanda Be Cool & DCup Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Yolanda Be Cool & DCup Chart History (Dance Club Songs)". Billboard.
- "ARIA Charts – End Of Year Charts – Top 100 Singles 2010". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 8 January 2011.
- "Jahreshitparade 2010" (in German). austriancharts.at. Archived from the original on 27 February 2011.
- "Rapports annuels 2010 - Singles" (in French). Ultratop. Retrieved 26 December 2010.
- "Charts Year End: Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "CIS Year-End Radio Hits (2009)". Tophit. Retrieved 11 August 2019.
- "Track 2010 Top-50". Tracklisten (in Danish). Nielsen Music Control. 2010. Archived from the original on 22 January 2011.
- "dutchcharts.nl - Dutch charts portal". dutchcharts.nl (in Dutch). Hung Medien / hitparade.ch. Retrieved 3 January 2011.
- "Musik-Jahrescharts: "Sanfter Riese" und der Graf setzen sich durch". Media Control Charts. Archived from the original on 7 January 2011. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- "MAHASZ Rádiós TOP 100 2010" (in Hungarian). Mahasz. Retrieved 10 March 2011. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "FIMI - Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana - Ricerche e dati di mercato". Fimi.it. Archived from the original on 21 January 2011. Retrieved 14 March 2012.
- "Topul celor mai difuzate piese în România în 2010". România Liberă (in Romanian). Archived from the original on 6 January 2011. Retrieved 21 January 2011.
- "Airplay Detection Tophit 200 Yearly – 2010". Tophit. Archived from the original on 8 April 2011. Retrieved 9 August 2019.
-  Archived 3 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- "2010 Year End Swiss Singles Chart". Swiss Music Charts. 2011. Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- "2010 Year-end UK Singles". BBC (BBC Online). 26 December 2010. Retrieved 26 December 2010.
- "Canadian Hot 100: Year End 2011". Billboard. billboard.com. Retrieved 14 August 2019.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2011 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Ultratop − Goud en Platina – singles 2010". Ultratop. Hung Medien.
- "Guld og platin i August" (in Danish). IFPI Denmark. Archived from the original on 17 January 2015.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Yolanda Be Cool & Dcup; 'We No Speak Americano')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Italian single certifications – Yolanda Be Cool & Dcup – We No Speak Americano" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Select "2010" in the "Anno" drop-down menu. Select "We No Speak Americano" in the "Filtra" field. Select "Singoli online" under "Sezione".
- "New Zealand single certifications – Yolanda Be Cool and Dcup – We No Speak Americano". Recorded Music NZ.
- "Norwegian single certifications – Yolanda Be Cool and Dcup – We No Speak Americano" (in Norwegian). IFPI Norway. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "Top 50 Canciones - Semana 47: del 22.11.2010 al 28.11.2010" (PDF) (in Spanish). PROMUSICAE. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- "Yolana Be Cool and Dcup - We No Speak Americano" (in Swedish). Grammofon Leverantörernas Förening. Retrieved 5 March 2012.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Yolanda Be Cool & DCup; 'We No Speak Americano!')". IFPI Switzerland. Hung Medien.
- "British single certifications – Yolanda Be Cool and Dcup – We No Speak Americano". British Phonographic Industry. Select singles in the Format field. Select Platinum in the Certification field. Type We No Speak Americano in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American single certifications – Yolanda Be Cool and Dcup – We No Speak Americano". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- on YouTube
- "We No Speak Americano ft. Cleary & Harding". YouTube. 25 July 2010. Retrieved 14 March 2012.