La Femme Desperado
|La Femme Desperado
La Femme Desperado poster
|Ending theme||"有過去的女人" by
|Country of origin||Hong Kong|
|No. of episodes||22|
|Producer(s)||Poon Ka Tak (潘嘉德)|
|Running time||45 minutes (approx.)|
|Original release||April 17 – May 14, 2006|
|Related shows||Men in Pain (2006)|
La Femme Desperado (Traditional Chinese: 女人唔易做) is a TVB modern drama series broadcast in April 2006. The series contains many realistic elements relating to the life of a woman in today's modern society, particularly in Hong Kong.
There are three pairs of couples and their roles highlight the roles of women in modern society:
- Chai Foon (Raymond Lam) and Ko Chi-Ling (Melissa Ng) - Chai Foon has been in love with his tutor, Ling, since he was 11 and she was 18. They depict the problems of overcoming a seven-year age gap in traditional Chinese society.
- Man King-Leung (Michael Tse) and Hilda Hoi Kiu (Sheren Tang) - shows their quest to power and fame, their readiness to sacrifice anything - even their loved ones - for the sake of climbing the corporate ladder. However, throughout the show, their characters began to make the realization that love and family are actually much more significant in life than success in the business world.
- Ko Chi-Lik (Kenneth Ma) and Ida Hoi Suen (Kate Tsui) - focuses on the status of the woman in modern society. Raised in a patriarchal environment, Lik, who has very old-fashioned thinking, believes that women cannot become sushi chefs. He believes that a woman should be staying at home, cooking, serving their husbands and caring for the children. Ida on the other hand, is a very strong-willed modern Chinese woman. Through her determination, confidence and persistence, she proves her skills to him. Their frequent conflict and arguments over the rights and roles of women and Lik's eventual realization that women can indeed accomplish greater accomplishments than men show the gradual progression of value changes.
|Sheren Tang||Hoi Kiu (Hilda)
|37 years old
Pluto Company Product Manager
Man King-Leung's lover.
Hoi Suen's older sister.
|Melissa Ng||Ko Chi-Ling
|32 years old
Pluto Company Product Assistant Manager
Chai Foon's wife.
Man King-Leung's ex-wife.
Ko Wing-Tim and Lau Wai-Sim's daughter.
Ko Chi-Lik and Ko Chi-Lun's sister.
|Raymond Lam||Chai Foon
|25 years old
Pluto Company Clerk
Ko Chi-Ling's husband.
|Michael Tse||Man King-Leung (Man)
|38 years old
Hoi Kiu's lover.
Ko Chi-Ling's ex-husband.
|Kenneth Ma||Ko Chi-Lik
|29 years old
Hoi Suen's lover.
Ko Wing-Tim and Lau Wai-Sim's son.
Ko Chi-Ling and Ko Chi-Lun's younger brother.
|Kate Tsui||Hoi Suen (Ida)
|24 years old
Ko Chi-Lik's lover.
Hoi Kiu's younger sister.
|Cindy Au||Kong Ching-Ching (Crystal)
|21 years old
Please Company Owner
|Jacqueline Law (羅慧娟)||Huen Bo-Ting (Venus)
|37 years old
Ma Sai-Hin's wife.
Hoi Kiu's university classmate.
|Savio Tsang (曾偉權)||Ma Sai-Hin
|45 years old
Pluto Company Owner
Huen Bo-Ting's husband.
|Bryan Leung||Ko Wing-Tim
|55 years old
Lau Wai-Sim's husband.
Ko Chi-Lun, Ko Chi-Ling, and Ko Chi-Lik's father.
|Ching Hor Wai (程可為)||Lau Wai-Sim
|Ko Wing-Tim's wife.
Ko Chi-Lun, Ko Chi-Ling, and Ko Chi-Lik's mother.
|Li Ka Sing (李家聲)||Ko Chi-Lun
|35 years old
Koon Ka-Lun's husband.
Ko Wing-Tim and Lau Wai-Sim's son.
Ko Chi-Ling and Ko Chi-Lik's older brother.
|Natalie Wong||Koon Ka-Yung
|Ko Chi-Lun's wife.|
|Lai Suen (黎宣)||Cheung Pak-Chi
|Convenience Store Owner
Chai Foon's grandmother.
|Mary Hon (韓馬利)||Tong Lai-Chu
|47 years old
Chai Foon's mother.
|Kong Hon (江漢)||Kong Wing-Nin
|Please Company Founder
Kong Ching-Ching's grandfather.
|Derek Kok||Cho Ka-Po (KP)
|Please Company Asia Pacific CEO
Hoi Kiu's ex-lover.
Hoi Kiu's ex-colleague/ex-superior at Please Company
Hoi Kiu's ex-boyfriend.
|June Chan (陳琪)||Ho Nga-Kei (Jackie)
|Huen Bo-Ting's cousin.|
- Ko Chi-Ling (Melissa Ng), nicknamed "Ko Ling", is a 32-year-old assistant manager of Pluto, a consumer product distributor. Ling comes from a very traditional family, who expected women to marry and give birth to children as soon as possible, and avoid a professional career. After finding out that her husband and co-worker Man King Leung had an affair, she divorced him, and began to learn from Hilda as she makes her way up in the corporate world.
- Hilda Hoi Kiu (Sheren Tang) is a 37-year-old product manager of Pluto. She is considered to be the definition of a strong businesswoman. Hilda would use all her charm to get business, often alienating many coworkers in the process. Her characteristics of a strong businesswoman is "forced-out" due to the huge disappointment towards men when her ex-boyfriend whom she loved accused her for the sake of climbing up the corporate ladder plus the fact her father abandon their family for another woman further deepen it. However, the otherside of her is very gentle and feminine, towards her sister Hoi Suen.
- Ida Hoi Suen (Kate Tsui) is the sister of Hilda. Hilda's and Ida relationship was very close in the earlier days, however was strained due to the over-concern by Hilda which back-fired. She fell in love with her sushi mentor.
- Man King-Leung (Michael Tse) is a 38-year-old worker at Pluto. He is known to climb up the corporate greasy pole at all costs, earning him the title "Scum Man". after his divorce with Ko Ling, he had a relationship with Hilda. Man left Pluto to become an executive at Please, a department store chain, out of spite.
- Chai Foon (Raymond Lam) is married to Ko Chi-Ling, despite a 7-year age difference between them. He acts on an impulse, and this led to strains in their marriage.
- Ko Chi-Lik (Kenneth Ma) is the younger brother of Ling. He is a sushi chef by profession, and fell in love with his student, Ida Hoi. His father's chauvinistic attitudes rubbed off on him, and this caused much strain in their relationship.
|Week||Episode||Average Points||Peaking Points||References|
||April 17–21, 2005||1 — 5||
||April 24–28, 2005||6 — 10||
||May 1–5, 2005||11 — 15||
||May 8–12, 2005||16 — 20||
||May 14, 2005||21 — 22||
Awards and nominations
- "Best Drama"
- "Most Improved Actor" (Kenneth Ma)
Ming Pao (2006) Television Awards
- "Best Drama Series"
- "Best Actor in a Leading Role" (Raymond Lam - Chai Foon) Top 5
- "Best Actor in a Leading Role" (Michael Tse - Man King-Leung)
- "Best Actress in a Leading Role" (Sheren Tang - Hilda Hoi Kiu) Top 5
- "Best Actor in a Supporting Role" (Kenneth Ma - Ko Chi-Lik)
- "Best Actor in a Supporting Role" (Li Ka Sing - Ko Chi-Lun)
- "Best Actor in a Supporting Role" (Bryan Leung - Ko Wing-Tim)
- "Best Actress in a Supporting Role" (Kate Tsui - Ida Hoi Suen)
- "Best Actress in a Supporting Role" (Cindy Au - Kong Ching-Ching)
- "My Favourite Male Character Role" (Raymond Lam - Chai Foon) Top 5
- "My Favourite Male Character Role" (Michael Tse - Man King-Leung)
- "My Favourite Female Character Role" (Sheren Tang - Hilda Hoi Kiu) Top 5
- "My Favourite Female Character Role" (Kate Tsui - Ida Hoi Suen)
- "My Favourite Female Character Role" (Melissa Ng - Ko Chi-Ling)
- "Most Improved Actor" (Michael Tse)