Land of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (November 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Land of Illusion
Starring Mickey Mouse
SMS Cover art
Land of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, known in Japan as Mickey Mouse's Magical Crystal (ミッキーマウスの魔法のクリスタル? Mikkī Mausu no Mahō no Kurisutaru) and Brazil as Mickey Mouse 2, is a platform game released by Sega for the Sega Master System in 1992 and Sega Game Gear in 1993. It is a sequel to Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, which was also released for Sega Genesis.
When starting up the game, a short movie is shown. Mickey falls asleep with a book of fairy tales in his lap, later he wakes up in a strange village. A girl (looking like Daisy Duck) comes up to him asking him for help. She says 'the magic crystal' has been stolen from the villagers. Ever since then, the beautiful happiness in her village has been replaced with sadness. Mickey decides to help the villagers and goes after the evil phantom who has stolen the crystal.
Land of Illusion is a typical platform game, with the player sidescrolling his way through 14 stages, trying to retrieve the crystal to the villagers. Mickey can attack his enemies by picking up an item (such as a stone block) and throwing it at his enemies, or he can jump at them in a sitting pose.
Throughout the game, the player can pick up items that imbue Mickey with new abilities, such as a rope for climbing up walls or a potion that can make Mickey shrink in size. Furthermore, the player can then return to previous levels and utilise these items to gain access to previously inaccessible areas.
Mickey begins the game with two power stars indicating how many hits he can take by enemies. Power stars can be collected throughout the game to give Mickey more health to a maximum of 5. However, there is one power star on every level making 14 in total. Each star collected after collecting 5 gives full health and an extra life. Most of them are in the inaccessible areas which require many of the special items collected throughout the game. Upon completion of the game, the number of stars the player collects is tallied. Collecting all 14 stars gives a special score bonus.
Several well-known Disney characters appear in the game:
- Mickey Mouse - The main character of the game
- Phantom - The antagonist of the game. He is the same Horned King who appears in the Disney animated film, The Black Cauldron and the House of Mouse, but is coloured differently.
- Daisy Duck - A villager who asks for Mickey's help saving the village
- Goofy - A toymaker
- Horace Horsecollar - The blacksmith
- Minnie Mouse - The princess and continued love interest of Mickey
- Donald Duck - The king
The game was well received by critics.
- "TodoSega, Volume 1" (PDF) (2). TodoSega. May 1993: 83. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- "Sega Master Force Issue 2" (2). September 1993: 11. Retrieved November 19, 2015.
- "Sega Master Force Issue 1" (1). August 1993: 37. Retrieved November 19, 2015.
- "Ação Games, Volume 1" (PDF) (32). Ação Games. April 1993: 30. Retrieved 19 June 2017.