||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
December 18, 1990 |
Santa Monica, California, United States
|Occupation(s)||singer, songwriter, model|
|Years active||2009 – present|
Lara was born on December 18, 1990, in Santa Monica, California to an Egyptian-Italian father , and she is a Christian. Her family moved back to Cairo, Egypt right after her birth. Scandar grew up in music-loving family where both her father and grandfather enjoyed singing as a hobby. Her sister Tamara and her were always encouraged to perform in school plays and musicals as well as out of school activities.
Lara’s parents enrolled her in ballet classes at the age of 4, which she continued to study until the age of 15. At age 6, Lara began modeling in catwalks for kids’ clothing brands as well as TV and print ads. She continued to model until the age of 17, right before her admission to Star Academy.
After having graduated from high school, Lara auditioned for Star Academy, a Pan-Arab talent show based in Lebanon that brings together young talents from all over the Arab world that have to live together and compete for the “Star” title. Lara was one of the three Egyptians chosen to represent her country on the sixth season of the show, which debuted in February 2009. Lara received heavy criticism due to her weak Arabic (her first language being English, and second French) as well as her Westernized image. Throughout the 4 months of the show, Lara stood out by singing several languages (English, French, Spanish and Italian) and managed to be the last Egyptian in the competition and reached the semi-finals.
After her popularity in Star Academy 6, award-winning Lebanese producer and composer Jean-Marie Riachi who she has been working with ever since approached Scandar. She released her first single Mission Is You on February 3, 2010, for which she won the MENA (Middle East Music Award) for the Encouragement Award given to rising artists with evident potential to succeed. Her second and third singles followed within the next year.
In 2011, it was announced that Lara had been chosen to be the face of Herbal Essences Arabia. She wrote her third single See The Beauty, specifically for the brand’s advertising campaign.
About A Girl
In 2012, Lara released her first studio album About A Girl, which included three songs written by her, one Arabic track, a dance cover of Toto Cutugno’s L’Italiano as well as 6 other tracks. The success of Lara’s single Taalou Ghannou Maaya (Toto Cutugno’s cover) garnered a larger Arabic speaking audience and helped gain more recognition in the Arab world as well as several other music awards and nominations.
Lara teamed up with Herbal Essences Arabia one last time for the first online interactive concert in the Middle East, covering popular Egyptian classics as well as originals and other covers in English. The concert allowed fans to interact with Lara during the concert and be the first to listen to her new single Love Birds. Lara is currently working on her new album. She released Khalas Khalas, her first Lebanese single, in April 2017 and its video clip in May 2017.
|Single||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Mission Is You"||2010||19||About A Girl|
|"See The Beauty"||2011||18|
|"Falling Out Of Love"||2012||11|
|"Taalou Ghannou Maaya (تعالوا غنّوا معاي׳)"||2012||4|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that territory.|
|Album||Year||Peak chart positions|
|"About A Girl"||2012||1||1||1|
As featured artist
|"White Christmas" (on Castana)|
|2010||MEMA Awards||Encouragement Award||Won|
|2011||Dear Guest Festival||Best Rising Female Artist||Won|
|2012||Murex D'or Awards||Best Rising Female Star||Nominated|
|2012||Dear Guest Festival||Best Female Youth Singer||Won|
|2013||Murex D'or Awards||Best Promising Female Singer||Won|
|2013||MTV EMA Award||Best Middle East Act||Nominated|
|2013||Esquire Magazine Awards||Woman We Love||Won|
- "Lovely Lara’s on a mission". 7days. February 23, 2010. Retrieved May 28, 2010.
- جولولي | لارا اسكندر: أنا مسيحية ولكن شهر رمضان يمثلن
- "NRJ Top 20: Leaders 30 Seconds To Mars Coming To Town! « Beirut The Only Way It Should Be, NightLife, Clubbing, Events, DineOut, Concerts, Festivals, Clubs, Pubs, Bars, Hotels, Restaurants, Lifestyle, Music, Fashion". Beirutnightlife.com. Retrieved December 30, 2012.
- "NRJ Radio Lebanon’s Top 20 Chart: Avril Takes Over the Number One Spot « Beirut The Only Way It Should Be, NightLife, Clubbing, Events, DineOut, Concerts, Festivals, Clubs, Pubs, Bars, Hotels, Restaurants, Lifestyle, Music, Fashion". Beirutnightlife.com. December 20, 2011. Retrieved December 30, 2012.
- "NRJ Radio Lebanon’s Top 20 Chart: Jason Derulo 9 Weeks on the Chart « Beirut The Only Way It Should Be, NightLife, Clubbing, Events, DineOut, Concerts, Festivals, Clubs, Pubs, Bars, Hotels, Restaurants, Lifestyle, Music, Fashion". Beirutnightlife.com. March 27, 2012. Retrieved December 30, 2012.
- "Twitter / raykazan: @LaraCScandar number 1 @VirginLeb". Twitter.com. Retrieved December 30, 2012.
- "iTunes - Music - Castana (Cosy Christmas Wishes) by Jean Marie Riachi and Guests". Itunes.apple.com. Retrieved December 30, 2012.
- "Lara Scander at the MEMA 2009 Ceremony". Waleg.com. June 2, 2010. Retrieved December 30, 2012.
- "Lara Scandar and Ahmad Ezzat: Best Rising Artists at Dear Guest in Pictures". Wikeez.com. Retrieved December 30, 2012.
- "Lara Scandar nominated for a 2012 Murex D'or award". Youtube.com. June 3, 2012. Retrieved December 30, 2012.
- "DG Festival News - Dear Guest Festival, DG Festival, Egypt Festival, Egyptian Festival, Egypt Survey". Dgfest.com. Retrieved December 30, 2012.
- "Lara Scandar won a 2013 Murex D'or award".