This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Al Wasl Hospital is a hospital in Dubai that provides medical care specifically for women and children. In April 2012 it was renamed Latifa Hospital in memory of Sheikha Latifa Bint Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
Al Wasl Hospital was inaugurated in 1986 as a 40,000 square metre, 367-bed hospital specializing in maternity and paediatrics. The order to change the name to Latifa Hospital was given by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum in order to honor his late mother. This order was given on the 6th anniversary of his accession as the Ruler of Dubai.
The construction of the hospital was carried out by the Dubai-based Habtoor Leighton Group, which was awarded a US$33 million contract. Construction commenced in 1986 and was completed in 1987.
It is reported that the total number of healthcare providers and ancillary employees running the hospital is approximately 1300.
As of 2012 Latifa Hospital performed 6700-7800 deliveries per year.
In 2011 the hospital was recognized by the United Nations Children’s Fund as a baby-friendly medical facility. During a ceremony celebrating the achievement Director of the Dubai Health Authority, Qadhi Saeed Almurooshid, stated that the recognition was earned by the implementation of 10 criteria related to the 10 steps for successful breast-feeding in its baby-friendly initiative, which aimed to increase awareness of mothers about the benefits of breast-feeding.
In 2012 Latifa Hospital’s Department of Neonatal Care was presented with the Hamdan Award for an Outstanding Clinical Department in the Public Sector in UAE.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-11-22. Retrieved 2015-07-30.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Contracting, HLG. "Latifa Hospital (Al Wasl Maternity & Paediatric Hospital) - HLG Contracting". www.hlgroup.com. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-09-29. Retrieved 2015-07-30.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- WAM (2011-02-24). "UN recognition for Dubai's Al Wasl Hospital". GulfNews. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "Department of Neonatal Care - Latifa Hospital, Dubai - Sheikh Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Award for Medical Sciences - HMA". www.hmaward.org.ae. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- Al Wasl Hospital - TEN Yellow Pages
- Al Wasl renamed to Latifa
- Dubai Health Authority page
|This article about a hospital in the United Arab Emirates is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|