|Genus:||Chaetodon (but see text)|
Anonymous E. T. Bennett, 1830
The Latticed Butterflyfish (Chaetodon rafflesii) is a species of butterflyfish (family Chaetodontidae). It is found in the Indo-Pacific region from Sri Lanka to the Tuamotu Islands, north to southern Japan, south to the Great Barrier Reef, and from Palau (Belau) to the eastern Caroline Islands in Micronesia.
It grows to a maximum of 18 cm (7.1 in) long, but the most common length is 15 cm (5.9 in). The body color is yellow with a cross-hatched pattern of darker lines on the sides; it has a vertical black eyestripe and a vertical black line in the caudal fin. The peculiarly-patterned C. rafflesii belongs to the large subgenus Rabdophorus which might warrant recognition as a distinct genus. In this group, it seems to represent a rather unusual lineage, with perhaps just the White-faced Butterflyfish (C. mesoleucos) being less distantly related.
The Latticed Butterflyfish is an uncommon species found in areas of rich coral growth of lagoons and protected reef flats and seaward reefs from 1–20 m depth. It feeds on sea anemones, polychaetes, and octocorallian and scleractinian coral polyps.
- Myers, R. & Pratchett, M. 2010. Chaetodon rafflesii. In: IUCN 2013. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.1. www.iucnredlist.org. Downloaded on 10 September 2013.
- FishBase (2008): Chaetodon rafflesii. Version of 2008-JUL-24. Retrieved 2008-SEP-01.
- Dianne J. Bray, 2011, Lattice Butterflyfish, Chaetodon rafflesii, in Fishes of Australia, accessed 07 Oct 2014, http://www.fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/2396
- Fessler, Jennifer L. & Westneat, Mark W. (2007): Molecular phylogenetics of the butterflyfishes (Chaetodontidae): Taxonomy and biogeography of a global coral reef fish family. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 45(1): 50–68. doi:10.1016/j.ympev.2007.05.018 (HTML abstract)
- Hsu, Kui-Ching; Chen, Jeng-Ping & Shao, Kwang-Tsao (2007): Molecular phylogeny of Chaetodon (Teleostei: Chaetodontidae) in the Indo-West Pacific: evolution in geminate species pairs and species groups. Raffles Bulletin of Zoology Supplement 14: 77-86. PDF fulltext Archived 2007-08-11 at the Wayback Machine.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chaetodon rafflesii.|