Lauren Socha in 2011
|Born||Lauren Marie Socha
9 June 1990
Derby, Derbyshire, England
|Residence||Derby, Derbyshire, England|
|Known for||Comedy-drama television series Misfits|
|Relatives||Michael Socha (brother)|
Lauren Marie Socha (born 9 June 1990) is an English actress. She rose to prominence during her role as Kelly Bailey in the E4 comedy-drama television series Misfits, for which she won a BAFTA in the Best Supporting Actress category. She is also known for her role in the Channel 4 drama The Unloved.
Socha was born in Derby, Derbyshire to Robert and Kathleen (née Lyons) Socha. She has an older brother, Michael Socha, also an actor. She attended St. George's RC Primary School, Burton College and St. Benedict's Catholic School and Performing Arts College, Derby. She trained at the Ian Smith Television Workshop based in Nottingham.
Socha was first recognised by agents and casting directors when she attended a local drama workshop, having been inspired by her older brother. This led to her being cast as the lead in the Arctic Monkeys' video for their 2006 single "When the Sun Goes Down" at the age of 15.
In 2009 Socha went on to star in Samantha Morton's directorial debut The Unloved in which she played a sixteen-year-old girl in a care home. She was nominated for a BAFTA for Best Supporting Actress for her role. A week later she auditioned for the role of Kelly Bailey in British comedy-drama Misfits and got the part.
In May 2011 she won a BAFTA in the Best Supporting Actress category for her role of Kelly in Misfits. Socha was nominated for Outstanding Actress in the fiction category at the Monte-Carlo Television Festival in 2011. She later appeared in the short The Child, playing a version of Marilyn Monroe. She also took part in the BBC learning project "Off By Heart Shakespeare" where she played Juliet from Romeo and Juliet, performing the speech: "Blistered be thy tongue".
On 3 May 2012 it was announced that Socha would not be returning to Misfits for its fourth series. Channel 4 stated that this was by mutual decision before the series went into production and had nothing to do with her recent conviction.
Socha resides in Derby. She has three tattoos: three stars on her neck, a bow on her back and her initials with a star on her wrist, which her parents let her have done. Her brother is Michael Socha, also an actor.
On 23 January 2012 it was reported that Socha had been charged with racially aggravated assault in connection with an incident involving a Derby taxi driver, Sakandar Iqbal, the previous October.
She pleaded guilty and was convicted of the charge, being sentenced to four months in jail, suspended for twelve months, in May 2012.
In October 2015, she announced on her Twitter that she and her boyfriend were expecting their first child together.
In April 2016 it was announced via Twitter that she'd given birth to a girl ReenieRae.
|2009||The Unloved||Lauren||TV film
Nominated—BAFTA TV Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role
|2011||The Child||Marilyn Monroe||Short|
|2009–11||Misfits||Kelly Bailey||Main cast: Series 1-3
BAFTA TV Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role
|2010||Five Daughters||Dawn||Three episodes|
|2010||71 Degrees North||Herself|
|2015||Catastrophe||Anna||Episode 2 - 4|
- Socha starred alongside Stephen Graham in the music video "When the Sun Goes Down" by the Arctic Monkeys.
- "Our family had to conquer heartbreak on the road to stardom". thisisderbyshire.co.uk. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "Misfits star Lauren Socha reveals why she's changing her accent". sundaymercury.net. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "Lauren Socha interview". pimedia.org.uk. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "TV Awards Nominations Press Release". Bafta.org. 6 June 2010. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- "Interview with Lauren Socha". comedy.co.uk. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "Television Awards Nominees and Winners in 2011". bafta.org. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- Wightman, Catriona (20 April 2011). "In Full: Monte Carlo TV Festival fiction nominees". Digital Spy. Hachette Filipacchi. Retrieved 11 September 2011.
- "Schools — Teachers — Off By Heart Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet "Blistered be thy tongue"". BBC. 21 March 2011. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- "Lauren Socha not returning to Misfits". Digitalspy. 3 May 2012. Retrieved 3 May 2012.
- "Bafta-winning actress Lauren Socha charged with assault". BBC News. 23 January 2012. Retrieved 25 January 2012.
- BAFTA winning Misfits actress Lauren Socha sentenced for racist attack on taxi-driver