Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)
|"Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)"|
|Single by P!nk|
|from the album I'm Not Dead|
|B-side||"Dear Mr. President"|
|Released||March 12, 2007UK)
April 28, 2007 (Australia)
|Format||Digital download, EP|
House of Blues Studios, West Hollywood, CA
Chateau Marmont, Los Angeles, CA
|Writer(s)||Pink, Butch Walker|
"Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)" is a song by Pink, and was the sixth single from her fourth album, I'm Not Dead (2006). It was released in 2007 as a physical CD single in Australia, and as a download-only EP in the UK with "Dear Mr. President". The EP features live versions of both songs. Certain European countries received a physical CD release of the single.
In the beginning of February 2007, before its official release as a single, the song was put on the B-list of BBC Radio 1. It debuted on the UK Singles Chart at number 60, and it rose to number 34, her lowest-peaking UK single at that time. In Australia the single debuted at number 11 and peaked at number five, becoming Pink's fourth top five hit from the album I'm Not Dead; the single also reached the top five in New Zealand and was certified Gold on October 5, 2008, selling over 7,500 copies.
The song received mixed to positive reviews from critics. IGN's wrote a mixed to favorable review for the song, stating that "The title should say it all and reveal the ball of confusion that Pink really is. It's one of the most rockin' tunes on the whole album, but it's over-the-top arena pop rock, not ball crunching, barroom rawk." Quentin Huff from PopMatters thought that "Pink summons the spirits of the Go-Gos and Tiffany (“I Think We're Alone Now”)" on the track. Todd Murphs from Stylus Magazine wrote a mixed review, saying that "the ode to schizophrenia, “Leave Me Alone (I’m Lonely),” which may rely too much on the chorus, but at little over three minutes, it’s hardly a bother. Especially when she’s dropping f-bombs left and right.
Entertainment Weekly's Chris Willman wrote that "it's a pissy yet affectionate rocker that throws down competing desires for attentiveness and space in a relationship." Barry Walters from Rolling Stone wrote that the song "suggests a mood-swinging Strokes mash-up."
The music video consists of performances from Pink's I'm Not Dead Tour. The video mostly includes shots of performances of "Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)", but it also includes clips of performances of songs such as "Stupid Girls", "Fingers", "The One That Got Away" and "U + Ur Hand".
The Funhouse Freakshow Edition
During the Funhouse Summer Carnival Tour, alternate videos were shot for "Funhouse," "Please Don't Leave Me" and "Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)." The latter was never filmed, which caused a fuss back during the song's release period among P!nk's fans. P!nk released the video for her fans. Directed by Cole Walliser the video features P!nk and two fat women on the beach. P!nk is playing the guitar alone, suddenly the two women show up. The rest of the video shows P!nk running away from them until finally ditching them.
Track listings and formats
- UK Single
- "Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)" – 3:18
- "Dear Mr. President" [Featuring Indigo Girls] – 4:33
- "Dear Mr. President" [Live] – 4:45
- "Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)" [Live] – 4:44
- "Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)" [Digital Dog Radio Mix] - 2:48
- "Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)" (Digital Dog Full Remix) - 6:23
- Australian CD Single
- "Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)" – 3:18
- "Dear Mr. President" [Live From Wembley Arena] – 4:49
- "Who Knew" [Live From Wembley Arena] – 3:26
Enhanced With "Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)" & "Live From Wembley Coming Soon Trailer" Videos!
- Vocals: Pink
- Backing vocals: Pink and Butch Walker
- Mixed by: Tom Lord-Alge
- Assisted by: Femio Hermandez
- Additional programming: Butch Walker
- Drum/Keyboard programming: Dan Chase
- Drums: Mylious Johnson
- Guitars: Butch Walker
- Bass: Butch Walker
Charts and certifications
- BBC Radio 1 Playlist
- Gold certification in New Zealand
- Certification sales in New Zealand
- Pareles, Jon (April 3, 2006). "Critic's Choice: New CD's". The New York Times. Retrieved May 4, 2010.
- "P!nk - I'm Not Dead - Music Review at IGN". IGN. 4 April 2006. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- Huff, Quentin (17 May 2006). "Pink: I'm Not Dead < PopMatters". PopMatters. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- "Pink - I'm Not Dead - Review - Stylus Magazine". Stylus Magazine. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- Willman, Chris (6 April 2006). "I'm Not Dead Review - Music Review - EW review". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- Walters, Barry (4 April 2006). "I'm Not Dead - Album Reviews - Rolling Stone". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- "Australian-charts.com – P!nk – Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- "Charts.org.nz – P!nk – Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely)". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- Slovakia Single Chart. Retrieved April 14, 2007.
- "Archive Chart: 2007-03-31" UK Singles Chart.
- ARIA Top 100 Singles 2007
- Top Selling Singles of 2007 | The Official New Zealand Music Chart
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2007 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- "Latest Gold / Platinum Singles - RadioScope New Zealand". Radioscope.net.nz. 5 October 2008. Retrieved 20 June 2011.