|Alma mater||Harvard University|
|Occupation||Journalist, staff writer, radio host|
Leon Neyfakh (born 1985) is an American journalist, radio host and author. He is known for hosting the podcasts Slow Burn and Fiasco, and his book The Next Next Level: A Story of Rap, Friendship, and Almost Giving Up.
Early life and education
Neyfakh is best known for creating and hosting Slate's podcast Slow Burn, which has covered American political scandals. The first season of the podcast was about the Watergate scandal of Richard Nixon, and the second season covered the Lewinsky scandal of Bill Clinton.
Before joining Slate, Neyfakh worked for the Boston Globe as the Ideas staff, and was a reporter for the New York Observer. He has also written for The FADER, The New Republic, and Rollingstone.com.
In November 2018, Neyfakh announced on Twitter that he was leaving Slate to write and host his new podcast, FIASCO, which is offered exclusively on the Luminary podcast platform. The first season focused on the Bush vs. Gore legal battle, and the second is centered around the Iran–Contra affair.
The third season of FIASCO is centered on the Boston busing crisis of the 1970s, and was released in August 2020, during the ongoing George Floyd protests. When asked about how Americans can actively and effectively engage in the topic of race, Neyfakh said:
"I think there should be more recognition on the part of white people like me that believing in equality usually means giving something up. In the new season of Fiasco, listeners will hear a lot of white voices saying they believe in integration and equality but not in “busing” because it’s not fair to force white children into worse schools. The thing is, as [the journalist] Nikole Hannah-Jones has written, busing is the most immediate method of desegregating schools and making them equal. Of course someone has to give something up."
The latest season of Fiasco tells the story of the 2012 Benghazi attack and the political scandal that followed.
In early 2020, a new podcast called 5-4 was launched, for which Neyfakh provides introductions to the individual episodes and has editorial oversight. The podcast focuses on U.S. Supreme Court cases and how they impact life and liberty of Americans.
- Bromwich, Jonah Engel (August 17, 2020). "What Historical Moment Is Leon Neyfakh Learning From Now?". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved October 22, 2020.
- CBC, Radio (March 12, 2020). "Leon Neyfakh on political scandals and his favourite podcasts".
- Ep. 188: FiveThirtyEight politics writer Clare Malone and Fiasco host Leon Neyfakh, Unorthodox podcast, July 11, 2019.
- The Impulsive Life Not Chosen The New Yorker
- LEON NEYFAKH OF SLOW BURN PODCAST TO DISCUSS COVERING WATERGATE FOUR DECADES LATER Manhattan College
- Leon Neyfakh, The Harvard Crimson
- New podcast revisits Watergate in the Trump era Columbia Journalism Review
- Slow Burn’: Watergate Podcast Host on Avoiding Obvious Trump Parallels and Finding Out When Conspiracies Come True
- Slate’s Slow Burn Podcast to Return With New Season About the Clinton Impeachment Vulture
- ‘The Next Next Level’ by Leon Neyfakh: a tale of rap and friendship The Washington Post
- Slate’s Leon Neyfakh on Slow Burn’s success and political storytelling Columbia Journalism Review
- Larson, Sarah (June 4, 2019). "Three Podcasts to Listen to in June". ISSN 0028-792X. Retrieved November 23, 2019.
- Alam, Rumaan (February 4, 2020). "Fiasco Tries to Make Iran-Contra a Teachable Moment". The New Republic. ISSN 0028-6583. Retrieved February 5, 2020.
- Bennett, Anita (February 10, 2019). "Epix Greenlights Podcast-Inspired Docuseries 'Slow Burn' – TCA". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 5, 2020.
- "Subscribe to read | Financial Times". www.ft.com. Retrieved October 22, 2020. Cite uses generic title (help)
- "Leon Neyfakh Takes On This Turning Point in American History". Interview Magazine. July 27, 2020. Retrieved September 14, 2020.
- New York Media Power Couples: The Varsity Lineup and the Incoming Class The Observer
- The Daily Grind of a Distracted Freelance Writer Fold magazine
- mickey the toy poodle knocks down a delighted baby, retrieved November 23, 2019