List of LGBT awareness periods
(Redirected from Lesbian Visibility Day)Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Agender Pride Day||19 May||Day to promote awareness of agender individuals|
|Aromantic Spectrum Awareness Week||The first full week after 14 February||2014||Week to promote information and awareness about aromantic spectrum identities and the issues they face|
|Asexual Awareness Week||Last full week in October||2010||Week to promote awareness of those on the asexual spectrum|
|Bisexual Awareness Week||16-22 September||2014||Also referred to as BiWeek, and Bisexual+ Awareness Week|
|Bisexual Health Awareness Month||March||2014||Also referred to as #BiHealthMonth; celebrated to raise awareness about the bisexual+ community's social, economic, and health disparities, advocate for resources, and inspire actions to improve bi+ people's well-being|
|Celebrate Bisexuality Day||23 September||1999||Also referred to as Bisexual Pride Day, CBD, Bisexual Pride, and Bi Visibility Day|
|Day of Silence||April||1996||Day varies from year to year; GLSEN's Day of Silence is an organizing tool to end the silencing effect of anti-LGBT bias.|
|Harvey Milk Day||22 May||2010||Celebrated to honor Harvey Milk, assassinated politician, on his birthday. It is celebrated officially in California, Milk's home state.-|
|HIV Long-Term Survivors Awareness Day (HLTSAD)||5 June||2014||It is a day to highlight the resilience and strengths of people living longest with HIV and AIDS while pointing out the challenges facing this population and demanding action to improve our quality of life.|
|International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia||17 May||2005||The main purpose of the 17 May mobilizations is to raise awareness of violence, discrimination, abuse, and repression of LGBT communities worldwide.|
|International Lesbian Day||8 October||1990||Annual day which celebrates lesbian culture, mainly celebrated in New Zealand and Australia|
|International Non-Binary People's Day||14 July||2012||Date chosen due to being between International Men's Day and International Women's Day|
|International Pronouns Day||Third Wednesday in October||2018||An annual event that seeks to make sharing, respecting and educating about personal pronouns commonplace|
|International Transgender Day of Visibility||31 March||2009||Celebrated to bring awareness to transgender people and their identities as well as recognize those who helped fight for rights for transgender people|
|Intersex Awareness Day||26 October||1996||Celebrated in October to commemorate the first intersex protest, which took place in Boston, MA|
|Intersex Day of Remembrance (Intersex Solidarity Day)||8 November||Birthday of Herculine Barbin|
|Irish Marriage Referendum||22 May||2015||Ireland became the first country to legalize marriage equality through plebiscite on this day.|
|Lesbian Visibility Day||26 April||2008||Annual day to celebrate, recognize, and bring visibility to lesbians|
|LGBT History Month (USA & Canada)||October||1994||First celebrated in 1994 in October. It was declared a national History month by President Barack Obama in 2009. The month was created with the intent to encourage openness and education about LGBT history and rights.|
|LGBT History Month (UK)||February||2005||Celebrated throughout February since 2005. Founded by Schools OUT UK - The LGBT+ Education Charity.|
|LGBT Pride Month||June||June is celebrated as Pride in honor of the Stonewall Riots, though Pride events occur all year round. It also marks the month that same-sex marriage was legalized in the United States.|
|National Coming Out Day||11 October||1988|
|Non-Binary Awareness Week||Week surrounding 14th July, Sunday-Saturday||2020||A week by, for, and about non-binary people, that includes celebrating non-binary people, non-binary advocacy, and educating and raising awareness about non-binary experiences and needs. Started by @NBWeek on Twitter.|
|Nonbinary Awareness Week||12 July||2020||A week to spread awareness and visibility about nonbinary genders for both cis and binary trans communities. Started by Jay Genesis, gndrqr98 on Twitter.|
|Pansexual & Panromantic Awareness Day||24 May||2015||Annual day to promote awareness of and celebrate pansexual & panromantic identities.|
|Pulse Night of Remembrance||12 June||2017||Annual day of US remembrance for the loss of 49 LGBT men and women in the Pulse Nightclub shooting in Orlando, FL|
|Spirit Day||Third Thursday in October||2010||Support for LGBTQ+ youth who are the victims of bullying, as well as to honor LGBTQ+ victims of bullying-related suicide.|
|Stonewall Riots Anniversary||28 June||Day to remember the Stonewall Riots which are described as the start of the Trans and Gay Liberation Movement in the United States. It's a day for people to remember the biracial lesbian and drag king Stormé DeLarverie whose scuffle with the police started the rebellion.|
|Trans Parent Day||First Sunday in November||2009||A day that celebrates life and the love between transgender parents and their children, and between parents and their transgender children.|
|Transgender Awareness Week||Typically second week of November||Week to educate about transgender and gender non-conforming people and the issues associated with their transition or identity.|
|Transgender Day of Remembrance||20 November||1999||Day to memorialize those who have been murdered as a result of transphobia|
|Wear it Purple Day||final Friday of August||2010||Awareness day especially for young people, based in Australia|
|World AIDS Day||1 December||1988||Recognized in 1988 by the United Nations|
|Zero Discrimination Day||1 March||2014||"#ZeroDiscrimination Day is observed to bring awareness that you can't get sick from interacting with people who have AIDS, that everybody should have "access health care safely and live life fully with dignity". as per Michel Sidibé, UNAIDS Executive Director". The day is also used to bring attention to acceptance of non-straight fellow humans and not marginalise, discriminate or act cruelly against them, yet to instruct oneself, e.g. the gender continuum.|
- Sadi, Emmanuel (18 May 2018). "Here's a full list of International LGBT awareness dates and what they represent". The Rustin Times. Retrieved 1 November 2019.
- "About". Believe Out Loud. Retrieved 7 October 2020.
- "Aromantic Spectrum Awareness Week". Tumblr. Retrieved 3 September 2019.
- "Asexual Awareness Week". www.asexualawarenessweek.com. Retrieved 6 July 2019.
- "About". Bisexual Health Awareness Month. 20 February 2015. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "About". Bisexual Week. Retrieved 17 October 2014.
- Tran, Mark (13 October 2009). "Arnold Schwarzenegger signs law establishing Harvey Milk Day". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "International Lesbian Day". Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Calling for an International Non-Binary Gender Day". Fierce Femme's Black Market. 8 March 2012. Retrieved 8 March 2019.
- Carreras, Jessica. "Transgender Day of Visibility plans erupt locally, nationwide". PrideSource. Archived from the original on 27 March 2013.
- "Intersex Awareness Day marked around the world". Washington Blade: Gay News, Politics, LGBT Rights. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Lesbian campaigners tell us what Lesbian Visibility Day means to them". PinkNews. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- "Did You Know It's Lesbian Visibility Day? - AfterEllen". AfterEllen. 26 April 2018. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- "Lesbian visibility matters". Stonewall. 26 April 2017. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- "Presidential Proclamation – Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month, 2014". The White House, Office of the Press Secretary. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "National Coming Out Day". HRC.org. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "Non-Binary Week". Ygender. Retrieved 13 July 2020.
- "Non-Binary Week 2020". Activist Bookshelf. 13 July 2020. Retrieved 13 July 2020.
- "(Heartbreaking images from the one year anniversary vigil at Pulse nightclub in Orlando)".Mother Jones. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- "About #SpiritDay". GLAAD. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- "The Stonewall Riots - 1969". Socialistalternative.org. Retrieved 24 October 2012.
- "The Stonewall Riot - Jun 28, 1969 - HISTORY.com". HISTORY.com. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- Trans Parent Day
- "Zero Discrimination Day". World Health Organization.
- "International Days". www.un.org.
- "Zero Discrimination Day 2017 - UNAIDS". www.unaids.org.
- Inportant Dates of GLBTSSS Interest, from the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Student Support Services Office at Indiana University
- International LGBTQA Dates to Know at Wright State University
- Notable LGBT2Q+ Awareness Dates, at Queer Events
- Notable LGBT Awareness Dates and Events, at Disabled World
|This article about lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender topics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|