|Look up levy in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Levy, Lévy or Levies may refer to:
- Levy (surname)
- Levy's (department store), Arizona chain
- Levy County, Florida
- Levee, an artificial embankment
A levy, or levies, is/are a military force raised ("levied") in a particular manner. Typically this means units raised by conscription, but not always. In the British Empire, levies were units raised by local officials for local tasks, typically for local order and security.
- Conscript forces
- Locally-raised forces within the British Empire
- Aden Protectorate Levies (became Federal Regular Army of the South Arabian Federation, which then became the army of the People's Republic of South Yemen)
- Balochistan Levies (now a Pakistani police force)
- Iraq Levies
- Kachin Levies
- Malakand Levies
- Swat Levies
- Trucial Oman Levies (became Union Defence Force of the UAE)
Compulsory government measures
- To force someone into military or national service by means of conscription
- A legal action, where property of a judgment debtor is taken for public sale to satisfy a monetary judgment
- An imposition of a fine
- To take money in order to pay off a tax liability
- To wage war
- The statutory levy collected from bookmakers in the UK by the Horserace Betting Levy Board
- Private copying levy, a tax on recordable media typically allocated to the developers of "content"
- 3673 Levy, an asteroid
- Léon & Lévy, 1864 founded firm in Paris specialized in stereoscopic views and postcards
- Henry S. Levy and Sons, Brooklyn bakery
- Michel Lévy Frères, a Parisian publishing house established in 1836
- USS Levy (DE-162), destroyer escort
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Levy.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.