Lies (Thompson Twins song)
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (July 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Single by Thompson Twins|
|from the album Quick Step and Side Kick|
|Genre||New wave, synthpop|
|Thompson Twins singles chronology|
"Lies" is a 1982 song by the British band Thompson Twins. It was released as the first single from the album Quick Step and Side Kick (Side Kicks in the U.S.), and the song peaked at #67 on the UK singles chart. The single fared better in the United States, where it peaked at #30 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the spring of 1983. Along with the B-side track "Beach Culture", "Lies" also spent two weeks at #1 on the American dance chart in January 1983, becoming the band's second #1 on this chart ("In the Name of Love" had spent five weeks atop this chart in 1982).
The music video was played on MTV and other video programs and features a view of the band's feet at the end of an oversized bed, bouncing back and forth to the rhythm of the song, as a variety of sights pass in a room similar to Bowman's bedroom in 2001: A Space Odyssey or a Magritte painting. At the end, the bed is revealed to be a hospital bed.
- American pop rock band The Click Five covered the song as part of the soundtrack to the 2005 Disney film Sky High.
In popular culture
- The song appears in the Regular Show episode "Grilled Cheese Deluxe".
- 12" Single (ARIST 12486, ARIST 12 486)
- "(Bigger & Better) Lies" - 6:35
- "(Long) Beach Culture" - 6:48
- 7" Single (ARIST 486)
- "Lies" - 3:10
- "Beach Culture" - 3:55
Sales chart performance
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||27|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||6|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||67|
|US Billboard Hot 100||30|
|US Dance/Club Play Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Cash Box Top 100||31|
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits: Eighth Edition. Record Research. p. 631.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Hot Dance/Disco: 1974-2003. Record Research. p. 258.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Charts.nz – Thompson Twins – Lies". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
- "Thompson Twins Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
- "CASH BOX Top 100 Singles – Week ending April 2, 1983". Archived from the original on 11 September 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2018.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)Cash Box magazine.
3. ^ Regular Show Season 1: Grilled Cheese Deluxe (2010)