Lies (Thompson Twins song)
This article includes a list of general references, but it remains largely unverified because it lacks sufficient corresponding inline citations. (July 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Single by Thompson Twins|
|from the album Quick Step & Side Kick|
|Genre||New wave, synthpop|
|Thompson Twins singles chronology|
"Lies" is a 1982 song by the British band Thompson Twins. It was released as the first single from the album Quick Step & Side Kick (Side Kicks in the U.S.), and the song peaked at #67 on the UK singles chart. The single fared better in the United States, where it peaked at #30 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the spring of 1983. Along with the B-side track "Beach Culture", "Lies" also spent two weeks at #1 on the American dance chart in January 1983, becoming the band's second #1 on this chart ("In the Name of Love" had spent five weeks atop this chart in 1982).
The music video was directed by Maurice Phillips and received airplay on MTV and other video programs. Three pairs of feet jut from the blankets at the foot end of an oversized bed, bouncing back and forth to the rhythm of the song, as a variety of sights pass in a room similar to Bowman's bedroom in 2001: A Space Odyssey or a Magritte painting. The end of the video, in which a nurse pulls a privacy screen into place and leans toward the camera with thermometer in hand, establishes that the bed's occupants are patients in a hospital.
- American pop rock band The Click Five covered the song as part of the soundtrack to the 2005 Disney film Sky High.
In popular culture
- The song appears in the Regular Show episode "Grilled Cheese Deluxe".
- 12" Single (ARIST 12486, ARIST 12 486)
- "(Bigger & Better) Lies" - 6:35
- "(Long) Beach Culture" - 6:48
- 7" Single (ARIST 486)
- "Lies" - 3:10
- "Beach Culture" - 3:55
Sales chart performance
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||27|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||6|
|UK Singles (OCC)||67|
|US Billboard Hot 100||30|
|US Dance/Club Play Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Cash Box Top 100||31|
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits: Eighth Edition. Record Research. p. 631.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Hot Dance/Disco: 1974-2003. Record Research. p. 258.
- "Thompson Twins: Lies (1982)". IMDb. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Charts.nz – Thompson Twins – Lies". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
- "Thompson Twins Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
- "CASH BOX Top 100 Singles – Week ending April 2, 1983". Archived from the original on 11 September 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2018.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)Cash Box magazine.
3. ^ Regular Show Season 1: Grilled Cheese Deluxe (2010)