|Location||49030 CO-71 |
|Security class||mixed, including maximum|
|Managed by||Colorado Department of Corrections|
The facility opened in 1991, and houses a stated maximum of 960 prisoners.
Limon houses some of the state's most dangerous inmates.
- In 2001 42-year-old inmate David Alonzo slipped and fell in his cell, and was dead three days later from an infected arm injury.
- In October 2002, inmate Edward Montour Jr. beat correctional officer Eric Autobee to death in the facility's kitchen.
- On March 28, 2004, inmate Jeffrey Heird was stabbed to death multiple times by other inmates, two of whom were charged with the death penalty for the attack.
- On September 12, 2007, an inmate cut the throat of corrections officer Pam Kahanic with a box cutter knife. Kahanic survived the attack and was back at work within six weeks.
- Inmate Joshua Edwards died of undisclosed causes in early June 2015; only at the end of August did autopsy results show that Edwards had been stabbed in the neck and strangled to death. 
- Freddie Glenn - Murdered actor Kelsey Grammer's sister, Karen. Transferred to Colorado State Penitentiary.
- Michael David Whyte - Former Fort Carson army vet who tortured and murdered fellow vet Darlene Krashoc in 1987.
- "Victim Handbook / guide to services" (PDF). Colorado Department of Corrections. Archived from the original (PDF) on 5 July 2016. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- D. L. Jones, The Need for Changing Prison Culture, mabts.edu, USA, Jul 6, 2022
- Pendergrast, Kurt (19 December 2002). "Death on the Installment Plan". Denver Westword. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Eric Autobee Officer Down Biography". Officer Down Memorial Page. n.d. Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- "DA seeks death penalty for inmates in Limon prison stabbing death". Summit (County) Press. Associated Press. 19 October 2006. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- Mitchell, Kirk (20 Dec 2008). "Officer Kahanic Returns to Prison After Attack". Denver Post. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- Mitchell, Kirk (6 June 2015). "Colorado agents investigate inmate's death at Limon high security prison". Denver Post. Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- Mitchell, Kirk (27 August 2015). "Limon inmate stabbed in neck, strangled to death, autopsy finds". Denver Post. Retrieved 21 August 2016.