Pustec and the island of Maligrad
|Elevation||861 m (2,825 ft)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Pustec (Macedonian: Пустец, Pustets), known officially as Liqenas from 1973 to 2013, is a village in the Korçë County of eastern Albania. Situated on the southwestern shore of Lake Prespa within Pustec Municipality, it is home to much of the Macedonian minority in Albania.
Pustec is located on the southwestern shore of Lake Prespa and is the nearest village to the island of Maligrad. It sits at an elevation of 861 metres (2,825 ft) above sea level. To the northeast, along the lake, lies Šulin, while in the southeast is the village of Leska.
Pustec and the surrounding region lie within the Prespa National Park.
The village of Pustec was first mentioned in documents from 16th century.
In 1973, the official name of the village was changed to "Liqenas" by the Albanian government. In 2013, however, the original Macedonian name, Pustec, was once again made official.
The majority of the population are ethnic Macedonians.
The village of Pustec is situated near two centuries' old rock churches. The first, Saint Michael the Archangel, is situated on the Lake Prespa shore. Its oldest frescoes date from the 12th century. The other, St Nicholas, contains only fragments of its original frescoes.
People from Pustec
- Trajan Gjorgjiovski, partisan
- Mitre Kolevski, partisan
- Edmond Temelko, mayor of Pustec Municipality and president of the Macedonian Party
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Pustec.|
- Law nr. 115/2014
- Naumovski, Jaklina (25 January 2014). "Minorités en Albanie : les Macédoniens craignent la réorganisation territoriale du pays". Balkan Courriers. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "Liqenas". Geoview.info. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- D.M.Brancoff. "La Macédoine et sa Population Chrétienne". Paris, 1905, p.170-171
- Mazon, André. Documents, contes et chansons slaves de l’Albanie du Sud, Paris, 1936, p.3
- Pustec poveke ne e Liqenas
- Angeličin-Žura, Goce. Пештерните цркви во Охридско-Преспанскиот регион (Р. Македонија, Р. Албанија, Р. Грција) (PDF). Ниш: В: „Ниш и Византија IV: зборник радова“; Симпозиум „Ниш и Византија IV“, Зборник радова IV, Ниш, 3 - 5 юни 2005. p. 397. Retrieved 4 May 2014.
- "Ta Pastrojmë Prespën Në Një Ditë" (in Albanian). Makedonium. 30 November 2013. Retrieved 17 May 2014.