Lisa Knapp (born 1974 in Balham), and raised in Tooting, south London, is an English folk singer, songwriter, fiddle player and multi-instrumentalist. Her singing voice has been described as "crystal clear" and reminiscent of Anne Briggs or Jeannie Robertson. Two of her three albums have received five-starred reviews in the British national press.
Colin Irwin gave her 2013 album Hidden Seam, which included contributions by Martin Carthy and Kathryn Williams, five stars in a review for The Observer. The lyrics of the album's opening track, "Shipping Song", derive from BBC Radio 4's Shipping Forecast. Another song from the album, "Two Ravens", took the award for Best Original Song at the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards in 2014.
Till April is Dead – A Garland Of May, Knapp's 2017 concept album about the month of May, "twists tradition... mixing in interviews about May Day rituals and samples of birdsong, buzzing flies and cuckoo clocks". It received a five-starred review in The Guardian from Jude Rogers who described it as "overflowing with warmth, light and waywardness". "Knapp’s voice throughout", she said, "is a relevation, both pure and wild, springing free". Writing in The Observer, Neil Spencer gave four stars to Till April is Dead – A Garland for May, which he described as completing "a trio of extraordinary albums". Thomas Blake, for Folk Radio UK, said that the album "seeks to understand old songs and traditions in modern and often highly original ways. It is a real step forward from a genuinely groundbreaking artist".
Knapp is married to musician Gerry Diver, who co-produces her albums. They have a daughter, Bonnie.
- Wild and Undaunted (2007), Ear to the Ground Music ETTGCD 001
- Hidden Seam (2013), Navigator Records NAVIGATOR 084
- Till April is Dead – A Garland Of May (2017), Ear to the Ground Music ETTGM 003CD
- Hunt the Hare – A Branch Of May (2012), Ear to the Ground Music
Other musical contributions
- Strong, Martin C. The Great Rock Bible. Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- Wilks, John (11 May 2017). "Lisa Knapp on "Till April is Dead", collaborating with guitar legends and the immortal importance of the shipping forecast". Grizzly Folk. Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- Eccleston, Danny (14 October 2013). "Premiere: Lisa Knapp's Black Horse Gets Spooky Video". Mojo. Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- Irwin, Colin (22 September 2013). "Lisa Knapp: Hidden Seam – review". The Observer. Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- "Track of the Week: Lisa Knapp – Shipping Song". Navigator Records. 14 October 2015. Retrieved 29 November 2017.
- Irwin, Colin (20 February 2014). "Folk is growing up but it still has a lot to learn". The Guardian. Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- Rogers, Jude (18 June 2017). "Lisa Knapp review – folk delivered with lust and menace". The Observer. Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- Rogers, Jude (27 April 2017). "Lisa Knapp: 'Til April is Dead – a Garland of May review – dazzling folk wit". The Guardian. Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- Spencer, Neil (30 April 2017). "Lisa Knapp: A Garland of May review – fearless folklore". The Observer. Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- Blake, Thomas (1 May 2017). "Lisa Knapp : Till April is Dead – A Garland for May". Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- Irwin, Colin. "Artist Biography: Lisa Knapp". AllMusic. Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- Zierke, Reinhard (19 May 2017). "David Rotheray: Answer Ballads". Mainly Norfolk: English Folk and Other Good Music. Retrieved 27 November 2017.