|Born||9 June 1960|
|Occupation(s)||Science historian, philanthropist|
Anna Lisbet Kristina Rausing (born 9 June 1960) is a science historian and philanthropist. She is a co-founder of Arcadia, one of the UK's largest philanthropic foundations.
Lisbet Rausing is the eldest daughter of Hans Rausing and his wife Märit Rausing. She has one sister, Sigrid Rausing, and one brother, Hans Kristian Rausing. Her grandfather, Ruben Rausing, was co-founder of the Swedish packaging company Tetra Pak.
Rausing studied History at the University of California, Berkeley (B.A., summa cum laude 1984) and completed an M.A. (1987) and Ph.D. (1993) in History at Harvard University.
Harvard University Press published Rausing's scholarly biography of Carl Linnaeus, Linnaeus: Nature and Nation in 1999. Throughout her career she has published a range of articles on related subjects in scholarly journals including Isis, Representations, Configurations, and History of Political Economy. She has also contributed to the Financial Times and The Sunday Telegraph, and has published a number of pieces on the evolution of archive digitization and on open access to scholarship.
Rausing is a senior research fellow at King's College. She holds honorary doctorates from Uppsala University and SOAS. She is also an honorary fellow of the British Academy, the Linnean Society, the Royal Historical Society, The Royal Society of Biology and the Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture and Forestry. She was elected to the Harvard Board of Overseers (2005–2011) and Yad Hanadiv Advisory Committee (2001–2011). She served on the Cambridge Conservation Initiative Advisory Board from 2012 to 2022. She also works closely with a family-owned liquid food packaging company, Ecolean.
Lisbet Rausing co-founded the Arcadia Fund in 2001 with her husband Professor Peter Baldwin. As of March 2022, the Fund has made grant commitments of over $919 million to charities and scholarly institutions globally that preserve cultural heritage and the environment and promote open access. Arcadia-funded projects include the Endangered Languages Documentation Programme at Berlin Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities, the Endangered Archives Programme at the British Library and Fauna & Flora International's Halcyon Land and Sea fund. They are listed as one of the biggest benefactors to the Wikimedia Foundation and donated $5 million to the Wikimedia endowment in 2017 after Baldwin joined its advisory board.
Rausing and Baldwin also founded Lund Trust. Since 2002 Lund Trust has given more than $77.7 million to charities in the UK and internationally.
- ^ "About Arcadia - Arcadia". Archived from the original on 2015-12-15. Retrieved 2019-08-30.
- ^ Koerner, Lisbet (1999). Linnaeus: Nature and Nation. Harvard: Harvard University Press. ISBN 978-0-674-09745-2.
- ^ "Linnaeus' Floral Transplants." Representations, 47 (1994)
- ^ "Women and utility in Enlightenment science" Configurations, 3 (1995)
- ^ "Underwriting the Oeconomy: Linnaeus on Nature and Mind." History of Political Economy supplement to volume 35 (2003)
- ^ "Do Libraries Dream of Electric Sheep?" Going Digital: Evolutionary and Revolutionary Aspects of Digitization Nobel Symposium 147: Stockholm, 2011) and in Logos, 21(2010) and "Toward a new Alexandria: Imagining the Future of Libraries." The New Republic (12 March 2010)
- ^ "Toward a new Alexandria: Imagining the Future of Libraries." The New Republic 12 March 2010 see also https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/toward-new-alexandria/ accessed 18 February 2023
- ^ "SOAS Honorary Fellows: Dr Lisbet Rausing". www.soas.ac.uk. Retrieved 3 December 2015.
- ^ "Honorary Fellows - British Academy". Archived from the original on 2015-06-29. Retrieved 2015-06-16. accessed 03 December 2015
- ^ "Royal Patrons and Honorary Fellows". www.linnean.org. Archived from the original on 2015-11-05. Retrieved 3 December 2015.
- ^ "Royal Historical Society, Fellows, R" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-12-22. Retrieved 2015-12-21. accessed 03 December 2015
- ^ "Honorary Fellows L-R". www.rsb.org.uk. Retrieved 3 December 2015.
- ^ "KSLA in English".
- ^ http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2005/06.16/03-overseers.html accessed 03.December 2015
- ^ http://www.sydsvenskan.se http://www.sydsvenskan.se/lund/hans-rausing-82-storsatsar-pa-nytt-forpackningsforetag
- ^ arcadiafund.org.uk Archived 2010-02-25 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ "Arcadia's 2021 annual report".
- ^ "Endangered Languages Documentation Programme". www.eldp.net. Retrieved 12 August 2022.
- ^ http://eap.bl.uk/index.a4d Archived 2017-09-11 at the Wayback Machine accessed 4 December 2015
- ^ Wikipedia 15 Contributors Retrieved January 15, 2016.
- ^ wmf:Resolution:Approval of Endowment funding (Fiscal Year 2016-2017) and matching $5 million gift from Peter Baldwin and Lisbet Rausing
- ^ "Peter Baldwin, professor and philanthropist, is appointed to the Wikimedia Endowment Advisory Board". 2016-09-09.
- ^ "Lund Trust website". Retrieved 12 August 2022.