List of ELN software packages
This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
An electronic lab notebook (also known as electronic laboratory notebook, or ELN) is a computer program designed to replace paper laboratory notebooks. Lab notebooks in general are used by scientists, engineers, and technicians to document research, experiments, and procedures performed in a laboratory. A lab notebook is often maintained to be a legal document and may be used in a court of law as evidence. Similar to an inventor's notebook, the lab notebook is also often referred to in patent prosecution and intellectual property litigation.
Electronic lab notebooks are a fairly new technology and offer many benefits to the user as well as organizations. For example: electronic lab notebooks are easier to search upon, simplify data copying and backups, and support collaboration amongst many users. ELNs can have fine-grained access controls, and can be more secure than their paper counterparts. They also allow the direct incorporation of data from instruments, replacing the practice of printing out data to be stapled into a paper notebook. This is a list of ELN software packages.
|Arxspan||Academic and enterprise||ELN and productivity suite for life science research|
|Benchling||Free and enterprise||Notebook for life science research|
|Chemia ELN||Enterprise||ELN for Chemistry and Pharma R&D with features for Sample tracking, Routine Analysis and Method development.|
|Docollab||Free and enterprise||A way to take notes and organize projects|
|eLabJournal||Classroom, academic and enterprise||electronic lab notebook with sample tracking and SOP integration|
|Exemplar ELN||starter and enterprise editions||includes complete LIMS functionality|
|FindMolecule||Free for academic.||chemical inventory management software|
|hivebench||Free and enterprise||Plan. Experiment. Publish.|
|IDBS E-WorkBook ELN ||Enterprise||Enterprise, cloud based, cross-displicinary ELN for scientific R&D data management|
|LabArchives||Free, classroom, academic, $99–$198/seat/year and Enterprise||Organize and manage all laboratory data safely|
|labfolder||Free and enterprise||An electronic lab notebook that optimizes life science research|
|Labguru ELN||Enterprise & Academic||Electronic Lab notebook and Lab Inventory Management Platform. Run your lab more efficiently and maximize your research output. Plan and document experiments, track progress, streamline lab logistics, and share results.|
|Labii ELN & LIMS||$0.1/record, or $80/seat/month, 50% off for academic||1) The only Pay-Per-Use ELN, start documenting for as low as pennies per record; 2) Customizable to meet your specific requirement; 3) Extend the functionality in your ELN & LIMS by adding widgets.|
|Labstep||Free and enterprise||Cloud-based and mobile-optimised electronic lab book. Includes experimental audit trails, inventory management, project management, group collaboration and more. Free for academic researchers.|
|LLMS||ELN and LIMS from Lyons Information Systems||Record AATCC and ASTM test results that automatically determines pass/fail test status of jobs within a testing laboratory.|
|Jawslab||Free, $10/month and enterprise||Secured cloud-based Electronic laboratory assistant|
|Riffyn SDE||Small Business/Lab & Enterprise||Alternative to ELN and LIMS. The cloud-based Riffyn Scientific Development Environment provides experimental design, lab execution, sample tracking, and realtime data shaping for multivariate analysis and integration with both cloud and local data pipelines.|
|RSpace||Per user/year - list price
||Supports all disciplines including life science, chemistry, toxicology, pharmacology etc. Has the ability to set up connections with institutional and lab filesystems, which enable discovery of and linking to data on external files (e.g. large microscopy files) from inside the ELN. Connects to several external research data repositories and supports research data management (RDM). Integration of a bunch of other research tools (e.g. chemical editor, protocols.io, buffer calculator, pubmed etc.) and to several communication tools (e.g. Slack, Google Hangouts etc.). Comprehensive export capabilities (PDF/A, XML, DOC etc).|
|SciCord ||Per user/year
||Intuitive ELN/LIMS hybrid design to handle lab needs. cloud based system. Configurable settings to fit user requirements. Direct instrument connectivity to ensure data integrity. Flexible ability to extract results/metadata/variables for statistical data analysis and trending. Sample/Chemical/Equipment inventory and management capabilities.|
|ScienceDesk||Free, academic and enterprise||Smart ELN, sample management, and scientific data management with integrated data analysis.|
|Scilligence||Software Solution for Industry and Academia||Cross-platform electronic lab notebook for chemistry and biology supporting all disciplines of research including medicinal chemistry, process chemistry, bioassays, HTS, in vivo pharmacology, and toxicology.|
|sciNote||Free and Enterprise||Open source.|
|ELN software||Language base||License||Hosted on||Other info|
|OpenWetWare||PHP||GPL v2||MIT||Based on MediaWiki|
|sciNote||Ruby on Rails 4.2.3||MPL 2.0||Amazon||JS Framework: Bootstrap 3, jQuery, DB: PostgreSQL 9.4|
|ELOG||C||GPL v3 or later||Install on a personal computer or server||Developed at PSI for the MEG experiment. It can be used to create both personal and common logbooks.|
|Electronic Collaboration Logbook (ECL)||python 2.7 apache PostgreSQL Django||BSD?||install on a server||Developed at Fermilab|
|Jupyter||Python plus over 40 supported languages||BSD||Install on a personal computer or server||As opposed to the experiment documentation of an ELN, the pages created in the Jupyter Notebook act as a "computational record of [an interactive computing] session, interleaving executable code with explanatory text, mathematics, and rich representations of resulting objects."|
- Labstep - Cloud-based and mobile-optimised electronic lab book. Includes experimental audit trails, inventory management, project management, group collaboration and more. Free for academic researchers.
- iLES from iVention - Cloud Based LIMS
- Arxspan – ELN, Registration, Inventory, LIMS
- Benchling – ELN, LIMS, and DNA Analysis
- Biovia - Unified Lab Management: Notebook Cloud (formerly Contour), Workbook (formerly Symyx), Record (mobile app), LES, CisPro, LIMS, EBR
- CERF ELN - High compliance, semantic Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN) and SDMS / EDMS for commercial life science labs
- Chemia ELN from Laurus Infosystems India Pvt Ltd
- Dotmatics Studies – ELN, LIMS
- elucidaid – Cloud mobile app ELN 
- LabArchives – ELN from LabArchives, LLC
- E-WorkBook from IDBS - Cloud Based
- Exemplar ELN from Sapio Sciences
- LabCollector - Cloud/VPS/Private Host from AgileBio
- labfolder – ELN from labfolder GmbH
- Labguru – ELN and LIMS from BioData
- Labii ELN & LIMS – ELN & LIMS that is Pay-Per-Use, Customizable, and Extendable with widgets.
- LogiLab from Agaram Technologies
- Mbook - Cloud/Private Host from Mestrelab
- OpenLAB from Agilent (formerly Genohm)
- Riffyn SDE - Cloud Based "Scientific Development Environment"
- ScienceDesk – Smart ELN, SDMS from ScienceDesk GmbH
- Scilligence – Cross-platform electronic lab notebook for chemistry and biology (Supports both small molecules and biologics in one platform)
- Signals Notebook (Cloud) / E-Notebook (Local) - Perkin Elmer
- StarLIMS from Abbott Informatics Corp
- quattro/LJ from quattro Research – An electronic lab notebook solution designed for multiple scientific disciplines
- Electronic Lab Notebooks at Harvard University
- Myers, James; Elena Mendoza; Bonnie Hoopes (2001). A Collaborative Electronic Notebook. Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Internet and Multimedia Systems and Applications.
- Myers, James (2003). Collaborative Electronic Notebooks as Electronic Records:Design Issues for the Secure Electronic Laboratory Notebook (ELN) (PDF). Proceedings of the 2003 International Symposium On Collaborative Technologies and Systems.
- Perkel, J. M. (2011). "Coding your way out of a problem". Nature Methods. 8 (7): 541–543. doi:10.1038/nmeth.1631. PMID 21716280.
- "Cloud Based ELN Software Electronic Lab Notebook". Arxspan.com. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- "Benchling · Better tools, faster research". Benchling.com. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- "Electronic Laboratory Notebook Software - IDBS". IDBS. Retrieved 2018-02-22.
- Yonggan (April 1, 2018). "Labii ELN & LIMS". www.Labii.com. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- Yonggan Wu (March 15, 2018). "Pay Per Use Electronic Lab Notebook". www.Labii.com. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- Yonggan Wu (January 19, 2018). "3 Reasons an ELN & LIMS is difficult to meet the diversity of researchers' interests, requirements and preferences". www.Labii.com. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- Yonggan Wu (January 23, 2018). "Extend the usability of your Labii ELN via widgets". www.Labii.com. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- "Labstep". Labstep.com. Retrieved 30 June 2018.
- "Labstep wants to fix the way science experiments are recorded and reproduced". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-01-11.
- "Riffyn · Never Miss a Discovery". riffyn.com. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- "RSpace - easy to use and easy to understand ELN - with the connected approach". www.researchspace.com. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "Hybrid ELN/LIMS - SciCord". www.scicord.com. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- "ScienceDesk - the scientist's workspace". www.sciencedesk.net. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Scilligence ELN". www.scilligence.com. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- "Free Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN) - sciNote". sciNote.net. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- "The IPython Notebook — IPython 2.3.0 documentation". 2015-01-02. Retrieved 2018-06-28.
- "Electronic Lab Notebook - Arxspan ELN Software". Arxspan.com. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- "CERF - Best ELN for Total Scientific Data Management". CERF. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- "elucidaid: lab notebook app". elucidaid. Retrieved 24 July 2017.
- "Home - LabArchives Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN)". LabArchives. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- "Research And Development Software & Solutions - IDBS". IDBS. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- "LIMS and ELN. Laboratory Information Management Systems and Electronic Lab Notebook". sapiosciences. Retrieved 7 February 2018.
- "Electronic lab notebook - ELN - labfolder". labfolder. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- "Electronic Lab Notebook - Labguru". www.Labguru.com. Retrieved 7 July 2017.
- "IT solutions for Research & Development". www.Quattro-Research.com. Retrieved 7 July 2017.