List of Irish Travellers
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a list of Irish Travellers.
- Francie Barrett represented Ireland at the Summer Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia in 1996. He has been a professional boxer since August 2000, and now fights at light welterweight, out of Wembley, London.
- Margaret Barry was a Traveller from Cork who became a well-known name on the London folk scene in the 1950s, with her distinctive singing style and idiosyncratic banjo accompaniment.
- Michael Collins, actor in King of the Travellers
- Patrick "Paddy" Doherty, a former bare-knuckle boxer. He is best known as one of the interviewed Irish Travelers in My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding and the winner of Celebrity Big Brother 2011.
- Johnny Doran was one of the most influential uilleann pipers in the history of Irish music, active during the first half of the 20th century.
- Pecker Dunne is a well known Traveller and singer from County Wexford, Ireland.
- Tyson Fury, a professional boxer based in Manchester, England and currently the WBA heavyweight champion.
- Michael Gomez, a professional boxer based in Manchester, England, was born to an Irish Traveller family in County Longford.
- Bartley Gorman was the "king" of the gypsies and undefeated bareknuckle boxing champion until his death in 2002.
- Nan Joyce is a pioneering Irish Travellers' rights activist.
- Paddy Keenan, piper, is a foundating member of the Bothy Band in the 1970s and a key figure in the transition of Irish traditional music into the world of Celtic-dominated music.
- Andy Lee, former WBO Middleweight world champion
- Hughie Maughan, runner-up of Big Brother 17 (UK) and a contestant on the Irish Dancing with the Stars
- Kelly Mongan, an Irish singer who came runner up on series 2 of The Voice of Ireland. She is an Irish Traveller from Fermoy, County Cork, Ireland.
- John Joe Nevin, Irish International, two-time Olympian, and a London 2012 silver medalist
- John O'Donnell, boxer
- John Reilly was a traditional Irish singer and source of songs.
- Shayne Ward is an English singer and former winner of X Factor, whose parents are Irish Travellers who settled in England.
- Mike Ward is an English singer and runner up/finalist from The Voice UK. He has Irish Traveller roots on his father's side and is also distant cousins with Shayne Ward.