List of military training deaths in Singapore
National service is a form of compulsory conscription in Singapore. Male citizens and second generation permanent residents are required to undergo a two-year stint to serve full-time in either the SAF, SCDF or the SPF.
Due to training safety regulations, training deaths are rare, but do occur from time to time. Below is a list of reported deaths that resulted from training incidents:
National servicemen in order of death
|1||Third Sergeant (3SG) Ronnie Tan Han Chong
Lance Corporal (LCP) Low Yin Tit
|9 March 1997||-||A 155mm artillery round exploded in the barrel of a FH-2000 howitzer during a live-firing exercise conducted by the 23rd Battalion, Singapore Artillery. Twelve other servicemen were injured in the incident, including a liaison officer from the New Zealand Army. The explosion was caused by a defective fuze supplied by the Chartered Ammunition Industries which failed to ensure that the fuzes procured by its contractor met military specifications.||Waiouru Army Camp, New ZealandMount Vernon, Virginia|
|2||Lance-Corporal (LCP) (NS) Mohd Shahlan bin Abdul Rahim||15 May 2002||-||Collapsed while taking his Individual Physical Proficiency Test (IPPT), and died in hospital.||Clementi Camp, Singapore|
|3||Second Sergeant (2SG) Hu Enhuai||21 August 2003||-||Died from asphyxia and near drowning during a POW survival training course. Four commando officers conducting the training were jailed for carrying out an inappropriate "dunking" procedure that led to his death.||Unspecified|
|4||Special Constable Trainee (TSC) Roslan Bin Saharo||15 May 2008||-||Collapsed shortly after commencing a trial IPPT conducted at the Home Team Academy on 13 May 2008. He was reported to have been unwell before the run, and died in hospital two days later due to complications caused by heat stroke. Further enquiry found that he failed to report that he had a fever, and insisted on continuing the run despite concerns from squad-mates.||Home Team Academy, Singapore|
|5||Recruit (REC) Andrew Cheah Wei Siong||10 June 2008||-||Fainted during a 2 kilometre training walk as part of the enhanced Basic Military Training (BMT) for obese recruits. He was evacuated by helicopter to Singapore General Hospital where he was pronounced dead.||Pulau Tekong, Singapore|
|6||Officer Cadet Trainee (OCT) Lam Jia Hao Clifton[a]||12 June 2008||20||Collapsed during a jungle orientation training in Brunei; died in hospital.||Brunei|
|7||Private (PTE) Foo Wei Rong Joe||1 October 2008||20||Collapsed while doing pull-ups. He was later evacuated to Tengah Medical Centre, where the doctors tried to resuscitate him. He subsequently sent to National University Hospital while the medical doctor and medic continued their resuscitation attempt en route, but was subsequently pronounced dead.||Lim Chu Kang Camp, Singapore|
|8||Specialist Cadet Trainee (SCT) Ee Chun Sheng||2 August 2011||21||Heart defect||Ama Keng Training Area, Lim Chu Kang, Singapore|
|9||Corporal (CPL) Li Hong Yang||10 January 2012||28||Collapsed after completing the 2 kilometre run in the IPPT.||Kranji Camp, Singapore|
|10||Private (PTE) Dominique Sarron Lee Rui Feng||17 April 2012||21||Breathing difficulties triggered by an allergic reaction to smoke grenades||Lim Chu Kang, Singapore|
|11||Third Sergeant (3SG) Tan Mou Sheng||10 May 2012||20||Found pinned to his jeep and unconscious after its driver, 3SG Cavin Tan, lost control of the vehicle.||Marsiling, Singapore|
|12||Lance Corporal (LCP) Muhammad Fahrurrazi Bin Salim||12 August 2012||20||Went missing during a jungle training exercise. He was the coxswain in a convoy of four boats meant to support water crossing segment of the exercise. His body was found three days later, 200 metres from his last known position.||Sungai Batu Apoi river, Temburong, Brunei|
|13||Third Sergeant (3SG) Chan Hiang Cheng Gavin||15 September 2017||21||His Bionix Infantry Fighting Vehicle toppled sideways while he was guiding it out of difficult terrain; he was heli-evacuated to Rockhampton Hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries.||Shoalwater Bay Training Area, Queensland, Australia|
|14||Private (PTE) Lee Han Xuan Dave[b]||30 April 2018||19||Displayed signs of hyperthermia on 18 April after completing an 8 kilometre fast march. Lee was evacuated to the camp's medical centre and subsequently transferred to Changi General Hospital, where he was warded in an intensive care unit, but his condition only worsened.||Bedok Camp, Singapore|
|15||Private (PTE) Liu Kai[c]||3 November 2018||22||Killed when a Bionix vehicle reversed into his Land Rover during a training exercise.||Jalan Murai, Singapore|
- "The 155mm gun wowitzer chamber explosion on 9 Mar 97 in new ..." (PDF). www.nas.gov.sg. Archived (PDF) from the original on 5 September 2018. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- "Death of a national serviceman" (PDF). www.nas.gov.sg. Archived (PDF) from the original on 5 September 2018. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- Cheong, Yvonne (8 June 2004). "4 SAF commandos charged over death of NSman". Channel News Asia. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "Recruit dies after walk". 10 June 2008. Archived from the original on 29 October 2017. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- Ee, Jamie (15 June 2008). "Are the youth of today less rugged?". AsiaOne.
- "RSAF pilot trainee collapses, dies during training in Brunei". AsiaOne. 12 June 2008.
- "Soldier dies while doing chin ups". www.asiaone.com. Archived from the original on 29 October 2017. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "2008Sep30-News-Releases-02493". www.mindef.gov.sg. Archived from the original on 5 May 2018. Retrieved 2018-05-05.
- "Checks 'could not have detected NSF's heart defect' - Tan Tock Seng Hospital". www.ttsh.com.sg. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "Five servicemen who died this year". AsiaOne. 15 May 2012.
- "SAF suspends training with smoke grenades". asiaone.com. 20 September 2016. Archived from the original on 29 October 2017. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- Choo, Deborah (11 May 2012). "SAF suspends all field training after latest NSF death". sg.news.yahoo.com. Archived from the original on 16 September 2017. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "Body of missing NSF in Brunei found". sg.news.yahoo.com. 12 August 2012. Archived from the original on 16 September 2017. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "NSF death: Armoured vehicle lands on side while getting out of difficult terrain, says MINDEF". Channel NewsAsia. 16 September 2017. Archived from the original on 27 November 2017. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "Singapore Army officer dies in armoured vehicle crash on Queensland coast". ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). 16 September 2017. Archived from the original on 14 February 2018. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- Hong, Jose (1 May 2018). "Military funeral for 19-year-old NSF who died after heatstroke". The Straits Times.
- "Death of a Singapore Armed Forces Full-time National Serviceman". www.mindef.gov.sg (Press release). 30 April 2018. Archived from the original on 1 May 2018. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- Tang, Louisa (4 November 2018). "SAF training incident: Friends mourn 'cheerful, hardworking and easygoing' NSF". Today.
- "Full-time national serviceman dies after accident with Bionix during training". Channel NewsAsia. 3 November 2018.