List of mammals of Saskatchewan
Having a temperate climate and a range of biomes, from prairie and grassland in the south, aspen parkland in the centre, and boreal forest in the north, as well as regional exceptions like the Great Sand Hills and Cypress Hills makes Saskatchewan home to a wide variety of mammal species. Its central location in the Prairie Provinces makes it a convergence point for the ranges of many species found in the east and west, as well, with its proximity to Montana and North Dakota, Saskatchewan serves as a northern range for several predominately American species. While there are also many species endemic to Saskatchewan itself. There are seventy-two species of wild mammals presently found in the province, out of approximately 4,400 known in the world.
Saskatchewan recognizes one species as their official mammal, the white-tail deer. Provincial law protects numerous species. Those considered threatened species are denoted by (T) and those considered endangered species denoted by (E). Some species are believed to be extirpated from the province, denoted with (X). Several species have been introduced to Saskatchewan, and established permanent populations, denoted with (I).
- 1 Bats (Chiroptera)
- 2 Carnivores (Carnivora)
- 3 Even-toed ungulates (Artiodactyla)
- 4 Rodents (Rodentia)
- 5 See also
- 6 External links
- 7 References
- Little brown bat (Myotis lucifugus)
- Black bear (Ursus americanus)
- Grizzly bear (Ursus arctos) (X) - Extinct subspecies the Plains Grizzly eliminated in the nineteenth century.
- Raccoon (Procyon lotor)
Otters, Weasels, Skunks & Ferrets (Mustelidae)
- Long-tailed weasel (Mustela frenata)
- Black-footed ferret (Mustela nigripes) (E, X)
- Mink (Mustela vison)
- Badger (Taxidea taxus)
- Striped skunk (Mephitis mephitis)
- River otter (Lontra canadensis)
- Wolverine (Gulo gulo luscus)
- Cougar (Felis con color) (T) - formerly extirpated but now growing in numbers.
- Bobcat (Lynx rufus)
- Lynx (Lynx canadensis)
Even-toed ungulates (Artiodactyla)
- Mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus)
- White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus)
- Elk (cervus canadensis) - its population is only found in southern regions of the province.
- Moose (Alces alces)
- Woodland caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou)
- Barren-ground caribou (Rangifer tarandus groenlandicus)
- Pronghorn (Antilocapra americana)
- Bison (Bison bison) (T)
- Beaver (Castor canidensis)
- List of amphibians in Saskatchewan
- List of birds in Saskatchewan
- List of fish in Saskatchewan
- List of reptiles in Saskatchewan
- fauna of Saskatchewan
-  - Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan entry on mammals of Saskatchewan.