|Headquarters||Kansas City, Missouri|
|No. of offices||75|
|No. of attorneys||Over 1500 |
|Major practice areas||Labor and employment|
|Revenue||US$ 427 million (2011)|
|Company type||Professional Corporation|
Littler Mendelson P.C. is the largest U.S.-based law firm exclusively devoted to representing management in employment, employee benefit, executive compensation, and labor law matters. Littler also handles global mobility and immigration issues.
Established in 1942, the law firm specializes in labor & employment, and has the largest practice in this area in the United States, Mexico, Canada, Germany and Venezuela. As of 2018, Littler has more than 1500 lawyers on staff in more than 75 offices in major metropolitan areas nationwide and globally. Littler has also established offices in several international markets through merging, acquiring, and partnering with firms based in Colombia, Costa Rica, Peru, and Puerto Rico.
History and practice
The firm was founded in 1942 by a deputy California Attorney General and a director of the War Labor Board, initially to represent businesses before the War Labor Board and Salary Stabilization Commission that were threatened with government takeover. The firm grew steadily but remained local to the Bay Area until the 1990s, when it began expanding aggressively throughout the U.S. via mergers and acquisitions of other firms.
In 2010, the firm announced the opening of the its first international labor and employment law office in Caracas, Venezuela (this office subsequently joined Ius Laboris in 2012). In 2011, Littler formed a strategic alliance with TransAsia Lawyers. In December of the same year, Littler announced the opening of two new offices in Mexico under the name Littler, De la Vega y Conde, S.C. and brought on a group of 25 local lawyers. In October 2013, Littler combined with two Latin American law firms, adding a presence in four additional countries in the Latin American region - Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, and Panama, and creating a new entity named Littler Global. The firm has since continued its expansion in major international markets through Littler Global, opening offices in Puerto Rico, the Dominical Republic, Honduras, Peru, and Guatemala.
The firm has been rated as among the largest labor and employment law firms in the US, and has received high rankings on various metrics including diversity, working conditions for women, and innovation.
- People Archived 2011-11-02 at the Wayback Machine
- About Littler
- "The Am Law 100: Firms Ranked by Gross Revenue". Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- "Global Mobility and Immigration". Retrieved 2015-10-16.
- "Littler Mendelson Beefing Up Its Core Competencies". JD Journal. August 23, 2012.
- Jordan Furlong (August 5, 2015). "Littler and the Globalization of Canada's Legal Market". Bloomberg BNA. Retrieved 2007-08-18.
- "Littler Mendelson Combines with Firms in Colombia and Costa Rica". Retrieved 2015-10-16.
- Eric Young (June 23, 2006). "Littler Mendelson gets bigger, plans 500 lawyers by Labor Day". San Francisco Business Times. Retrieved 2007-08-18.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-07-14. Retrieved 2014-06-10.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Littler Mendelson Opens in Mexico". Retrieved 2015-10-20.
- Tom Huddleston, Jr. (October 1, 2013). "Littler Adds Firms in Columbia, Costa Rica". The American Lawyer. Retrieved 2015-10-20.
- "Littler Global Gains Ground in Central America". Retrieved 2015-10-19.
- "Littler Mendelson Joins Two Latin American Firms to Become "Littler Global"". Retrieved 2015-10-20.
- Rich Steeves (January 7, 2014). "Labor an Employment Firm Littler Continues Latin America Expansion". Inside Counsel. Retrieved 2015-10-20.
- Allissa Wickham (October 21, 2014). "Littler Bolsters Latin America Presence With Peru Office". Law 360. Retrieved 2015-10-20.
- "Firms Ranked by Gross Revenue". The American Lawyer. April 27, 2015. Retrieved 2015-10-22.
- "Law360 Reveals Top 10 Largest Employment Practice Groups". Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- "Law360 Reveals 400 Largest US Law Firms". Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- "Who's Who Legal 100 Employment and Immigration". Retrieved 2015-10-22.
- "Human Rights Campaign Best Places to Work". Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- "Best Law Firms for Diversity". Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- "The 2014 Working Mother & Flex-time Lawyers 50 Best Law Firms for Women". Working Mother. July 15, 2014. Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- "Littler Recognized as a Top Law Firm for Innovation by the Financial Times". Retrieved 2016-06-23.
- "Kansas City gets the administrative services center of law firm Littler Mendelson". kansascity. Retrieved 2018-10-11.