|Born||October 28, 1956|
San Diego, California, U.S.
|Labels||Windham Hill, Novus, DMI|
Liz Story (born October 28, 1956) is an American pianist.
Story was born in San Diego, California and played classical music as a child. She studied at Juilliard School and was a student at Hunter College when she saw jazz pianist Bill Evans perform at a club in New York City. She dropped out of Hunter and studied jazz piano with Sanford Gold, whom Evans recommended.
Story returned to California, studying music at UCLA and at the Dick Grove Music Workshops. She took a job playing piano at a French restaurant, but the piano lacked a stand for holding up sheet music, so she was compelled to improvise. She sent some tapes of her work to William Ackerman of Windham Hill Records, and he signed her to the label.
- Solid Colors (Windham Hill, 1983)
- Unaccountable Effect (Windham Hill, 1985)
- Part of Fortune (Jive/Novus, 1988)
- Speechless (Jive/Novus, 1989)
- Escape of the Circus Ponies (Windham Hill, 1991)
- My Foolish Heart (Windham Hill, 1992)
- The Gift (Windham Hill, 1994)
- Liz Story (Windham Hill, 1996)
- 17 Seconds to Anywhere (Windham Hill, 1998)
- Night Sky Essays (DMI, 2005)
- Kohanov, Linda. "Liz Story | Biography & History | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "Liz Story | Album Discography | AllMusic". AllMusic.