|Meaning||"son of Mexo" (Wolf)|
|Region of origin||Portuguese|
|Language(s) of origin||Portuguese|
|Related names||López (Spanish), Lupo (Italian), Loup (French), Lupu (Romanian)|
Lopes is a surname of Portuguese origin. It was originally a Patronymic, meaning Son of Lopo, itself being derived from Latin lupus, meaning wolf. Its Spanish equivalent is López, its Italian equivalent is Lupo, its French equivalent is Loup, and its Romanian equivalent is Lupu or Lupescu.
The name may refer to:
- Justino Lopes (October 17, 1930 - November 16, 1991) Portuguese.
- Maria do Couto Maia-Lopes (1890-2005) Portuguese supercentenarian.
- Fernão Lopes (c.1380–1459), Portuguese royal chronicler.
- Fernão Lopes (died 1545), Portuguese sailor and first inhabitant of the island of Saint Helena.
- Gregório Lopes (c.1490–1550), Portuguese painter.
- Cristóvão Lopes (c.1516–1594), Portuguese painter.
- Sir Manasseh Masseh Lopes, 1st Baronet (1755–1831), British Member of Parliament.
- Sir Ralph Lopes, 2nd Baronet (born "Ralph Franco" 1788–1854), British Member of Parliament
- Sir Massey Lopes, 3rd Baronet (born "Massey Franco" 1818–1908), British Member of Parliament
- Henry Lopes, 1st Baron Roborough (1859–1938), British Member of Parliament.
- Francisco Craveiro Lopes (1894–1960), Portuguese politician and military.
- Joao Abel Pecas Lopes, Portuguese engineer.
- Laura Lopes (born 1978), daughter of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and Andrew Parker Bowles, OBE.
- Manuel Lopes (barber) (before 1850–after 1870), United States barber and first Black resident of Seattle.
- Nei Lopes (born 1942), Brazilian musician.
- Manuel Lopes (1907–2005), Capeverdian writer.
- Martinho da Costa Lopes (1918–1991), East Timorese religious and political leader.
- Massey Lopes, 2nd Baron Roborough (1903–1992), British peer and officer of the British Army.
- Américo Lopes (born 1933), Portuguese footballer.
- Fernando Lopes (born 1935), Portuguese filmmaker.
- Carlos Lopes (born 1947), Portuguese long-distance athlete.
- Davey Lopes (born 1945), United States baseball player and manager.
- Luís Carlos Melo Lopes (born 1954), Brazilian footballer.
- Edson Lopes (born 1957), Brazilian musician.
- Rosaly Lopes (born 1957), Brazilian earth-scientist.
- Giulio Lopes (born 1959), Brazilian actor.
- Marcelo Gonçalves Costa Lopes (born 1966), Brazilian footballer.
- Júlio Lópes (born 1967), Brazilian swimmer.
- Wagner Lopes (born 1969); Japanese footballer.
- Alexandre Paes Lopes (born 1974), Brazilian footballer.
- Daniel Lopes (born 1976), German singer.
- Welington Nogueira Lopes (born 1979), Brazilian footballer.
- Ana Paula Lopes (born 1979), Brazilian singer.
- Carlos Eduardo Lopes (born 1980), Brazilian footballer.
- Patrick Fabíonn Lopes (born 1980), Brazilian footballer.
- Astolpho Junio Lopes (born 1983), Brazilian
- Leandro Lopes (born 1984), Brazilian
- Matheus Henrique do Carmo Lopes (born 1985), Brazilian
- Felipe Aliste Lopes (born 1987), Brazilian
- Ernando Rodrigues Lopes (born 1988), Brazilian
- Everton Lopes (born 1988), Brazilian
- Mateus Lopes (born 1972), Capeverdian
- Aniceto Guterres Lopes (born 1967), East Timorese
- Osvaldo Lopes (born 1980), French
- Adelino Lopes (born 1976), Guinea-Bissaun
- Sufrim Lopes (born 1981), Guinea-Bissaun
- Cecilio Lopes (born 1979), Dutch
- António Bastos Lopes (born 1953), Portuguese
- Pedro Santana Lopes (born 1956), Portuguese
- Fátima Lopes (born 1965), Portuguese
- Tiago André Coelho Lopes (born 1989), Portuguese
- Lisa Lopes (1971–2002), United States
- Brian Lopes (born 1971), United States
- Danny Lopes (born 1982), United States
- Mécia Lopes de Haro (died 1270), Portuguese
- Henrique Lopes de Mendonça (1856–1931), Portuguese
- João Simões Lopes Neto (1865–1916), Brazilian
- Baltasar Lopes da Silva (1907–1989), Capeverdian
- Álvaro Lopes Cançado (1912–1984), Brazilian
- Antônio Lopes (born 1941), Brazilian
- Dirceu Lopes (born 1946), Brazilian
- Amílcar Lopes Cabral (1924–1973), Capeverdian and Guinea-Bissau Statesman.
- António Lopes Ribeiro (1908–1995), Portuguese
- Paulo José Lopes de Figueiredo (born 1972), Angolan
- Tim Lopes (1950–2002), Brazilian
- Roberto Lopes (born 1966), Brazilian
- Rinaldo Lopes Costa (born 1968), Brazilian
- Luciano Lopes de Souza (born 1974), Brazilian
- Marcelo Lopes de Faria (born 1976), Brazilian
- Marcio Lopes da Silva (born 1989), Brazilian (planning analyst,VoxLine)
- Fábio Lopes Alcântara (born 1977), Brazilian
- Fábio Deivison Lopes Maciel (born 1980), Brazilian
- Wesley Lopes da Silva (born 1980), Brazilian
- Almir Lopes de Luna (born 1982), Brazilian
- Carlos Michel Lopes Vargas (born 1982), Brazilian
- Roberto Lopes Nascimento (born 1983), Brazilian
- Leila Lopes (born 1986), Angolan Miss Universe 2011 winner.
- Wesley Lopes Beltrame (born 1987), Brazilian
- Neylor Lopes Gonçalves (born 1987), Brazilian
- Santinho Lopes Monteiro (born 1979), Dutch
- Valmiro Lopes Rocha (born 1981), Spanish
- Fernando Lopes-Graça (1906–1994), Portuguese
- Olga Lopes-Seale (born 1918), Barbadian
- Ephraim Lópes Pereira d'Aguilar, 2nd Baron d'Aguilar (1709–1832), British
- John Reginald Lopes Yarde-Buller, 3rd Baron Churston (1873–1930), British
- Oscar Lino Lopes Fernandes Braga (born 1931), Angolan
- Lopes Gonçalves, Portuguese explorer
- Jose da Silva Lopes (1932–2015), former finance minister of Portugal and governor of the Bank of Portugal
|This page lists people with the surname Lopes. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|