Louise de Mérode
|Louise de Merode|
|Princess della Cisterna|
Louise Caroline Ghislaine de Merode-Westerloo
22 May 1819|
Brussels, Kingdom of Belgium
1 March 1868 (aged 48)|
Turin, Kingdom of Italy
|Buried||Chapel of Pietà, Reano|
|Spouse(s)||Carlo Emanuele dal Pozzo, 5th Prince della Cisterna|
Maria Vittoria, Queen of Spain
Beatrice Giuseppa dal Pozzo
|Father||Count Werner de Merode|
|Mother||Countess Victoire van Spangen van Uyternesse|
Countess Louise de Mérode (Louise Caroline Ghislaine de Merode-Westerloo; 22 May 1819 – 1 March 1868) was a member of the House of Mérode by birth and Princess della Cisterna by marriage. She was the mother of Maria Vittoria dal Pozzo, Queen consort of Spain.
Life and family
Born in Brussels, she was the eldest of seven children born to Count Werner de Merode and Countess Victoire van Spangen van Uyternesse. Her younger sister, Antoinette de Merode, was the future wife of Charles III, Prince of Monaco.
On 28 September 1846 at Brussels, she married Carlo Emanuele dal Pozzo, 5th Prince della Cisterna, an Italian nobleman from one of the few aristocratic families in the Kingdom of Sardinia to bear the title of "prince" as a noble title. It was a double wedding with her younger sister, Antoinette. Carlo Emanuele dal Pozzo had been exiled from Sardinia in 1821 after having conspired against King Vittorio Emanuele I, but the couple returned to Turin in 1848.
In 1867, her daughter Maria married Prince Amadeo of Savoy, Duke of Aosta, second son of King Victor Emmanuel II of Italy and Adelaide of Austria, and brother of the future King Umberto I of Italy. Prince Amadeo reigned as King of Spain from 1870 to 1873, with Maria as his consort.
Upon the death of Louise's husband in 1864, their daughter Maria inherited his titles and properties, eventually passing them on to her son. In 1868, Louise died at the Palazzo dal Pozzo della Cisterna in Turin.
- Maria Vittoria dal Pozzo (1847-1876), married Prince Amadeo of Savoy (briefly King of Spain) and had issue.
- Beatrice Giuseppa Antonia Luisa dal Pozzo (1851–1864), died during childhood.
Titles and styles
- 22 May 1819 – 28 September 1846 Countess Louise de Merode.
- 28 September 1846 – 26 March 1864 Princess della Cisterna.
- 26 March 1864 – 19 February 1867 Dowager Princess della Cisterna.
- 19 February 1867 – 1 March 1868 Her Highness The Dowager Princess della Cisterna.
|Ancestors of Louise de Mérode|
- created Her Highness by decree in the same decree as her daughter, on the latter's wedding day, by King Vittorio Emanuele II