Luann Ridgeway is a citizen-legislator and an attorney. A Republican, she served as a member of the Missouri House of Representatives and Senate. Ridgeway currently serves as the Eastern District Commissioner of Clay County, Missouri.
Ridgeway was born and raised in Moberly, Missouri. Ridgeway attended William Woods University and Westminster College, Missouri. Ridgeway received the prestigious Presidential Scholars Award while attending Williams Woods University. Ridgeway received a BA degree with Magna Cum Laude honors at William Woods University with a double major in political science and history. Ridgeway received her JD degree at University of Missouri-Kansas City, and also studied at American University and Oxford University.
Ridgeway served as a Baptist Home Missionary to New Harvest Church (St. Joseph, Missouri) for several years before returning as a pianist to her home church (Mount Zion Baptist Church, Edgerton, Missouri). She is a member of the Missouri Farm Bureau, the Kiwanis Club (past president), the Rotary Club, the Chamber of Commerce, the Missouri County Bar Association, the Clay County Bar Association, the Missouri Baptist Theological Seminary Board of Regents, and the William Woods University Board of Trustees.
Senator Ridgeway resides in rural Clay County, just north of Smithville, Missouri. Ridgeway operates her own general-practice law firm in Smithville. Ridgeway has been married to Dr. Richard Ridgeway (BS, BSN, MS, PhD) since 1984. Ridgeway is currently serving her second four-year term (elected in 2012 & 2016) as the Eastern District Commissioner of Clay County, Missouri.
Ridgeway was first elected to the Missouri House of Representatives in 1992, and served there until 2002. While in the House, she served on the House Judiciary Committee and was Ranking Member of that committee from 1995-2002. Ridgeway was elected to the Missouri State Senate in 2004 & 2008. Ridgeway was elected Majority Caucus Chair by fellow senators. Ridgeway served as the Chair of the Joint Committee of Administrative Rules. Ridgeway was also the Vice Chair of the following committees: Rules, Joint Rules, Resolutions and Ethics; Small Business and Insurance; and also served on the following committees: Appropriations, Commerce, Energy and the Environment and the Joint Committee on Capital Improvements.
Ridgeway’s awards while serving in the Missouri legislature include:
* Missouri State Teachers Association "Friend of Education" Award * Missouri Bar Association "Distinguished Legislator" Award (1997) * American Council of Young Political Leaders Delegate to Russia * Judicial Conference of Missouri Outstanding Legislator Award (1997, 2000) * Missouri Farm Bureau Friend of Agriculture Award (1996, 2000) * Outstanding Freshman Legislator for Crime Victims Legislation * Champion of Justice Award (1998) * Veterans of Foreign Wars, Legislator of the Year 2005-2006 * Missouri Association of Veterans Organizations, Legislator of the Year 2006 * American Legion, Legislator of the Year Award 2006 * Missouri Emergency Medical Services Association, Legislator of the Year Award 2006 * Missouri Ambulance Association, Legislator of the Year Award 2006 * Northland Coalition, Certificate of Appreciation 2006 * Honorary Missouri State Water Patrol * Missouri Podiatric Society Legislator of Year 2007 * Missouri Foster Care and Adoption Association, Legislative Advocate 2007 * NFIB, Guardian of Small Business 2007 * RCGA, Lewis and Clark Statesmen Award, 2007 * Missouri Healthcare Association, Senior Advocate of the year Award 2008 * Gateway Chapter Autism Society of America, Advocacy Award 2008
In 2012, Luann was elected to a four-year term as the Eastern District Commissioner of Clay County, Missouri with 63.49% of the vote.
In 2016, Luann was re-elected to a four-year term as the Eastern District Commissioner of Clay County, Missouri with 61.7% of the vote.
In 2016, Luann was accused of misusing public funds.
In 2017, Luann voted to cut nearly $1 million from the County Sheriff's budget, whilte voting to raise her salary by 18%.
- Official Manual, State of Missouri, 2005-2006. Jefferson City, Missouri:Secretary of State.
- Archived webpage (2012) at Missouri State Senate (includes photo).
- Official Manual, State of Missouri, 2011-2012♙, Jefferson City, Missouri:Secretary of State.
- Official webpage of Clay County, Missouri, Liberty, Missouri.
- [http://www.mycouriertribune.com/news/county_and_northland_news/commissioners-could-receive-salary-increases/article_70830913-b401-5dd9-a5fe-007e08da5cc2.html Commissioners could receive 18% salary increases}