Fariña playing for Deportivo La Coruña
|Full name||Luis Carlos Fariña Olivera|
|Date of birth||20 April 1991|
|Place of birth||Buenos Aires, Argentina|
|Height||1.76 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Playing position||Attacking midfielder|
|Asteras Tripoli (on loan from Benfica)|
|2013–2014||→ Baniyas (loan)||23||(6)|
|2014–2015||→ Deportivo La Coruña (loan)||21||(1)|
|2015||→ Rayo Vallecano (loan)||3||(0)|
|2016||→ Universidad de Chile (loan)||9||(0)|
|2016–||→ Asteras Tripoli (loan)||2||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 29 April 2016.
Born in Buenos Aires, Fariña graduated from Racing Club de Avellaneda's youth system. He made his professional debut on 28 August 2009, replacing Sebastián Grazzini in a 1–1 home draw against Club Atlético Colón for the Argentine Primera División championship. Fariña appeared sparingly in the following campaigns, mainly used as a backup. He was only utilized regularly in the 2012–13 campaign, after profitting from both Giovanni Moreno and Lucas Castro's departures.
Fariña scored his first professional goals on 19 November 2012, netting a brace in a 4–0 home win against Quilmes Atlético Club. He finished the season with 28 matches and four goals, attracting the interest of S.L. Benfica, S.C. Braga and Sporting CP.
On 24 July 2013 Fariña signed for Benfica on a five-year deal for €3.5 million, joining fellow Racing teammates José Shaffer and José Luis Fernández. On 9 August, however, he was loaned to UAE Arabian Gulf League side Baniyas SC, in a season-long deal. On 27 July 2014, Fariña moved to Deportivo de La Coruña also in a temporary deal. He made his La Liga debut on 23 August, starting in a 1–2 away loss against Granada CF. Fariña scored his first goal in the main category of Spanish football on 15 December, netting the winner in a home success over Elche CF.
In August 2015 he joined Rayo Vallecano on loan for one season, but in January 2016 he was loaned to Universidad de Chile until June. On 7 August 2016, Greek Super League club Asteras Tripoli officially announced the capture of attacking midfielder, on loan from S.L. Benfica until the end of season.
- Racing Club
- Luis Fariña profile at Universidad de Chile
- "Premio a la persistencia" [An award to the persistence] (in Spanish). ESPN Deportes. 28 August 2009. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "Racing goleó a Quilmes y quedó a tres puntos de la cima" [Racing thrashed Quilmes and remained three points behind the leaders] (in Spanish). ESPN Deportes. 19 November 2012. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "Benfica don't give up on Fariña". Footy News 24. 25 June 2013.
- "Luis Fariña foi sondado mas sem efeito" [Luis Farina was asked but without effect] (in Portuguese). Record. 11 July 2013.
- "Fariña em entrevista: "Benfica é um sonho e quero aproveitá-lo"" [Fariña in interview: "Benfica is a dream and I want to seize it"] (in Portuguese). Mais Futebol. 16 July 2013.
- "Fariña no Benfica por 3,5 milhões de euros" [Farina in Benfica for 3.5 million euros] (in Portuguese). Sapo Desporto. 16 July 2013.
- "Benfica: sabe quem foram os últimos jogadores contratados ao Racing?" [Benfica:Do you know who were the last players Benfica bought from Racing?] (in Portuguese). Mais Futebol. 16 July 2013.
- "Benfica: Luis Fariña emprestado ao Baniyas FC" [Benfica:Luis Farina loaned to Baniyas FC] (in Portuguese). Mais Futebol. 9 August 2013.
- "Luis Fariña pasará mañana reconocimiento médico" [Luis Fariña will go through medical examinations tomorrow] (in Spanish). Deportivo's official website. 27 July 2014.
- "Granada fight back for win". ESPN FC. 23 August 2014. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "Depor back to winning ways". ESPN FC. 15 December 2014. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "Luis Fariña nuevo jugador del Rayo Vallecano" [Luis Fariña new player of Rayo Vallecano] (in Spanish). Rayo's official website. 13 August 2015. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Fariña emprestado ao Rayo Vallecano" [Luis Fariña on loan to Rayo Vallecano] (in Portuguese). S.L. Benfica. 13 August 2015. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Fariña emprestado e até pode ser comprado" [Fariña on loan and may be bought] (in Portuguese). O Jogo. 16 January 2016. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "Αστέρας Τρίπολης: Ανακοίνωσε Φαρίνια στο ημίχρονο με Πανιώνιο" (in Greek). www.gazzetta.gr. 7 July 2016. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- "Luis Fariña se nacionalizará paraguayo para jugar en la selección" [Luis Fariña will get a Paraguayan citizenship to play for the national team] (in Spanish). Pasión Libertadores. 3 December 2014. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- Luis Fariña at Soccerway. Retrieved 15 June 2015.