||This article reads like a news release, or is otherwise written in a promotional tone. (September 2015)||
|Headquarters||Austin, Texas, United States,|
|Products||xMAP, xTAG, MAGPIX, Luminex 100/200, FLEXMAP 3D, NxTAG, ARIES|
Luminex Corporation (NASDAQ: LMNX) is a biotechnology company based in Austin, Texas, with offices in Madison, WI, Toronto, the Netherlands, Shanghai and Tokyo. Luminex develops, manufactures and markets proprietary biological testing technologies with applications throughout the life-sciences industry. Nachum "Homi" Shamir has served as Luminex's President and Chief Executive Officer since October, 2014. Luminex was recognized by Forbes magazine as one of the top 25 fastest growing technology companies in the US.
Luminex's xMAP® (Multi-Analyte Profiling) technology, is an open architecture, multiplexing technology, which allows simultaneous analysis of up to 500 bioassays from a small sample volume, typically a single drop of fluid, by reading biological tests on the surface of microscopic polystyrene beads called microspheres. xMAP technology combines this miniaturized liquid array bioassay capability with small lasers, light emitting diodes (LEDs), digital signal processors, photo detectors, charge-coupled device imaging and proprietary software to create a system offering advantages in speed, precision, flexibility and cost. xMAP technology is currently being used within various segments of the life sciences industry, which includes the fields of drug discovery and development, and for clinical diagnostics, genetic analysis, bio-defense, food safety and biomedical research. In addition to the xMAP technology, Luminex has its proprietary MultiCode® technology, used for real-time polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and multiplexed PCR assays.
Products and Applications
Luminex Corporation currently owns 315 issued patents worldwide, including over 124 issued patents in the United States based on its multiplexing xMAP platform. Luminex's proprietary multiplex bead-based immunoassay testing platform simultaneously measures multiple analytes by exciting a sample with a laser, and subsequently analyzing the wavelength of emitted light. Luminex's MAGPIX platform utilizes LED technology and digital photography to analyze,"color-coded magnetic microspheres". In 2008 Luminex received FDA 510(k) clearance for its xTAG Respiratory Viral Panel which allows doctors to test for the presence of 12 respiratory viruses with a very high degree of accuracy in a matter of hours, and has been proven to provide an increase in accuracy over in-house nucleic acid amplification testing in the diagnosis of respiratory virus infections. Luminex's xTAG Gastrointestinal Pathogen Panel was granted a CE mark by the European Union in 2012 and received FDA and Health Canada clearance in early 2013. Luminex also has an extensive portfolio of genetics assays focused on cystic fibrosis and pharmacogenetics.
Awards and Achievements
In 2010 Luminex Corporation received the Prix Galien USA award which, "recognizes the technical, scientific and clinical research skills necessary to develop innovative medicines" In 2011 Luminex Corporation's MAGPIX multiplexing bioassay platform received the Medical Design Excellence Award, the, "premier awards program for the medical technology community."
- The official site of the Prix Galien USA Award
- Planet xMAP Luminex multiplexing congress bringing together leading scientists to discuss new developments in clinical diagnostics and life science research.
- Ray, John J. (16 February 2011). "America's 25 Fastest-Growing Tech Companies". Forbes.com. Retrieved 2011-05-15.
- Thompson, Heather. "Luminex: Multiple Strengths on a Single Platform". Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- Houser, Brett. "Using Bead-Based Multiplexing Immunoassays to Explore Cellular Response to Drugs". Drug Discover and Development. Retrieved 5/12/2011. Check date values in:
- Harding, Anne. "Life Science Technologies". www.sciencemag.org. Retrieved 2011-05-19.
- Haryean, Armen. "Luminex Receives FDA Clearance for xTAG Flu Test". www.emaxhealth.com. Retrieved 2011-05-21.
- "xTAG Respiratory Viral Panel (RVP) - K063765". Food and Drug Administration. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- Pabbaraju, Kanti; Tokaryk, Kara, Wong, Sallene, Fox, Julie D. (September 2008). "Comparison of the Luminex xTAG Respiratory Viral Panel with In-House Nucleic Acid Amplification Tests for Diagnosis of Respiratory Virus Infections". Journal of Clinical Microbiology 46 (9): 3056–3062. doi:10.1128/JCM.00878-08. PMC 2546709. PMID 18632902. Retrieved 2011-05-21. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Luminex's xTAG Gastrointestinal Pathogen Panel Gains CE Mark". Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology News. Retrieved 2011-05-21.
- "2010 Prix Galien USA Award Winners" (PDF). www.prix-galien-usa.com. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- "MDEA Program Overview". Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- "2011 Medical Design Excellence Awards". www.canontradeshows.com. Retrieved 2011-05-17.