Máirtín Ó Murchú
Máirtín Ó Murchú is an Irish professor of Celtic studies and emeritus professor of the Dublin Institute of Advanced Studies. He previously also was Director of the School of Celtic at DIAS and a Professor of Irish at Trinity College Dublin.
He has published widely on Irish and Scottish Gaelic linguistics and the Irish language in general, such as the handbook on the state of the Irish language (co-authored with Helen Ó Murchú) for the European Bureau for Lesser-Used Languages or the section on Irish in Blackwell's Encyclopedia of the Languages of Europe
He has also been fundamental in the development of a standard pronunciation for Irish, the Lárchanúint, in particular his 1969 article Common Core and Underlying Forms which has been described as ground-breaking.
Other academic works include:
- (1985) The Irish Language. Dept. of Foreign Affairs/Bord na Gaeilge
- (1993) "Aspects of the Societal Status of Modern Irish" in The Celtic Languages; edited by Martin J. Ball with James Fife. (Routledge Language Family Descriptions.) London: Routledge
- (2000) "An Ghaeltacht mar réigiún cultúrtha: léargas teangeolaíoch" in Teanga, pobal agus réigiún; eagarthóirí: Liam Mac Mathúna, Ciarán Mac Murchaidh agus Máirín Nic Eoin. Baile Átha Cliath: Coiscéim
- (2002) Ag Dul ó Chion: Cás na Gaeilge 1952-2002. (An aimsir óg. 1. Paimflead.) Baile Átha Cliath: Coiscéim
- (2005) Dineen and Ó Donaill in Dinneen and the Dictionary; edited by Pádraigín Riggs. London: Irish Texts Society
- "Guest Speakers at the 2006 Merriman Summer School". Cumann Merriman. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies - Staff and scholars". Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "National Library of Ireland". National Library of Ireland. October 2002. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- Ó Murchú, M. & Ó Murchú, H. ''Irish: Facing the Future / An Ghaeilge: a hAghaidh Roimpi (1999) EBLUL ISBN 1-870675-14-2
- Price, G. An Encyclopedia of the Languages of Europe (1998) Blackwell ISBN 978-0631192862
- Nic Pháidín, C. & Ó Cearnaigh, S. A New View of the Irish Language (2008) Cois Life Teo ISBN 978-1-901176-82-7
- Ó Murchú, M. East Perthshire Gaelic: Social History, Phonology, Texts, and Lexicon (1989) Institiúid Ard-Léinn Bhaile Átha Cliath ISBN 978-0901282934
|This article on an Irish linguist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|