MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (June 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founder||Daryl Morey, Jessica Gelman|
|Type||Sports & Analytics Conference|
The MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference (SSAC) is an annual event that provides a forum for industry professionals (executives and leading researchers) and students to discuss the increasing role of analytics in the sports industry. The conference is held in the Boston area and while its location has moved from the MIT campus to higher capacity convention centers, it has always occurred during February or March.
Founded in 2006, the conference is co-chaired by Daryl Morey, President of basketball operations for the Philadelphia 76ers, and Jessica Gelman, CEO of KAGR (Kraft Analytics Group), who oversee MIT Sloan students (from the EMS Club)[nb 1] in the planning and operating of the yearly conference. It is the largest student-run conference in the world, attracting students from over 170 different schools and representatives from over 80 professional sports teams in the MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, MLS, and Premier League. The conference has been sold out every year and has become the premier venue for sports analytics discussion. ESPN has been the presenting sponsor since 2010 and the conference has garnered national attention through media outlets such as Sports Illustrated, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Boston Globe, Time, BusinessWeek, NBC Sports, Fox Sports, ESPN's Pardon the Interruption, and Forbes. ESPN columnist Bill Simmons has nicknamed the conference Dorkapalooza.
- The MIT Sloan EMS Club is a student-run club that aims to help MIT Sloan students learn about its target industries as well as extend the MIT Sloan brand as a leading business school in the entertainment, media, and sports worlds.
- "About Kagr - Jessica Gelman - Partners - KAGR - Advanced analytics and Strategic Marketing". kagr.com. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- Fasulo, Nick (2011-03-04). "MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, Day 1: Explaining The 10,000 Hour Rule, And More". SBNation.com. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- "Simmons: Don't deny NBA stat geeks the truth". ESPN.com. 2011-04-04. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- "The World's 50 Most Innovative Companies in Sports 2012". Fast Company. 2012-03-13. Retrieved 2013-03-04.