The Motorschiff Stubnitz e.V., a registered non-profit association, is the operator of an 80m former freeze & transport vessel of the GDR high seas fishing fleet based in Rostock. Since 1993 it has been transformed into a mobile platform for music, cultural production, documentation and communication. Inside this listed historical monument, the former cargo holds are used as venues for live music, exhibitions, performances and media art. Artists and co-workers are lodged and fed on board.
The culture center has so far researched and presented innovative culture by touring the following European ports;
- 1994: St. Petersburg and Malmö
- 1998: Stockholm (European Capital of Culture)
- 2000: Luebeck and Hamburg
- 2001: Rotterdam (European Capital of Culture)
- 2002: Bruges (European Capital of Culture) and Amsterdam
- 2003: Szczecin and Hamburg
- 2004: Riga
- 2005: Copenhagen, Rotterdam, Newcastle, Amsterdam and Dunkirk
- 2006: Copenhagen moored between the Black Diamond and Langebro bridge, Hamburg and Amsterdam.
- 2007: Hamburg and Amsterdam
- 2008: Copenhagen, Nykøbing Falster, and Amsterdam
- 2009: Stralsund, Aalborg, Copenhagen, Hamburg, Wilhelmshafen and Amsterdam
- 2010: Copenhagen, Rostock, Aarhus and Hamburg
- 2011: Hamburg and Rostock
- 2012: Rostock, Bremen, Hamburg, Wilhelmshafen and London
- 2013: London, Dunkirk (Regional Capital of Culture) and Hamburg
The main part of the maintenance and cultural work is done on a voluntary basis.