MTV's Greatest Hits
|This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (May 2016)|
|This article has no lead section. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|MTV's Greatest Hits|
MTV's Greatest Hits in 1990.
|Directed by||Neil Breakwell|
|Presented by||Paul King|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Executive producer(s)||Sara Martin|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Original network||MTV Networks Europe|
|Original release||19 March 1990 – 1996|
MTV's Greatest Hits was a programme that started on 19 March 1990 - later presented by Paul King from 1991.
The main idea was to show all the greatest hits throughout the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and even 1990s. The show was shown at 4pm and then repeated at 10pm CET. In 1993, the programme was aired at 1pm and then at 8pm.
MTV's Greatest Hits gained in popularity throughout the years, but in July 1994 Paul King said goodbye on the screen showing the very last video on the show: Michael Jackson's Thriller. The show continued on MTV with different VJs eventually removed from the screens circa 1996. As well as main VJ Paul King, there were a few others who would stand in for him in his absence such as Pip Dann or Richie Rich.
Some of Paul King's infamous catch phrases:
- "... all the things that make you go jiggy-jiggy"
- "(It's official, there's no denying it), the weekend starts right now / is kicking in as far as we are concerned"
- "the show that hits the G-spot / the show with G-force (is coming your way)" (Greatest Hits)
- "... where your evening starts in the most positive of ways"
- "all hail and salutations"
- "Salutations to you, hail hail, all those thing that make you go jig-a-jig-a-jig".
- "what do you do, what do you say, [day] afternoon/evening (is) on your way"
- "It is my duty, nay my pleasure to announce that Greatest Hits is on the way"
- "I now leave you in the very capable hands of Ray Cokes, guy with the jokes, host with the most (wanted crew)."
- "... as once again from the archives we pull out videos from the likes of..."
- " (It's) déjà-vu, me and you, I am back, leader of the pack"
- "C'est moi, classic video guru, resident talking head and raider of the lost archives"
- "Hey hey hey, what can I say, it's (mid-day)."
Farewell to Paul King
The last edition with Paul King was aired on 29 July 1994. He said: " I am pulling out some of those videos that I really do think deserve to be called great and classic."
His choices were:
- Laid Back - Bakerman
- Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime
- David Bowie - Ashes To Ashes
- The Cure - Close To Me
- Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence
- A House - Endless Art
- The The - Heartland
- Prince - I Wish U Heaven
- Michael Jackson - Thriller (uncut version)
|Part of a series on|
in the United States
|Programs on MTV|
|Censorship on MTV|
|Viacom Media Networks|
- http://www.paulking.nl/mtveurope.html [Paul King]