MV Atlantic Freighter
Ro-Ro Cargo Pelagitis in Souda (Crete)
|Port of registry:|
|Length:||154 m (505 ft); 143 m (469 ft)|
|Beam:||21.67 m (71.1 ft)|
|Draught:||7.319 m (24.01 ft)|
|Ramps:||Stern loading; shore based|
|Propulsion:||Two propellers Bow thruster (1,000 hp)|
|Speed:||15 knots (28 km/h; 17 mph)|
MV Atlantic Freighter, now known as Pelagitis, is a roll-on/roll-off (Ro-Ro) ferry formerly operated by Marine Atlantic from North Sydney, Nova Scotia to Channel-Port aux Basques, Newfoundland, Canada. The vessel was completed in 1978 by Hyundai Shipbuilding Company Limited in and delivered to the Stena Line which operates in Northern Europe. She was sold on 12 March 2010 and given her current name Pelagitis.
Throughout her career, the vessel sailed under the names, Merzario Grecia, Stena Grecia, and Tor Felicia.
Loading and unloading the vessel each take over three hours. Eight trailers are loaded at one time using a "yard tractor train system". The vessel represented 19.6 percent of Marine Atlantic's fleet in 2005.
In 1990 asbestos was found in use on the vessel. Management made the decision to encapsulate the asbestos. In November 2007, 60 workers on Atlantic Freighter were told they should be tested for asbestos exposure.
Gulf War service
Atlantic Freighter was chartered by the United States Military Sealift Command in December 1990, and served two supply missions to the Persian Gulf during the Gulf War. The vessel was captained by Neil Hillier, and crewed by 25 volunteers. Fisheries and Oceans Minister, Fred Mifflin was credited with five years of efforts to secure the right for the crew to wear the United States Merchant Marine Expeditionary Award.
- "Pelagitis". VesselTracker.com. Retrieved 25 June 2010.
- "M/F Atlantic Freighter". The Ferry Site. Retrieved 25 June 2010.
- "MV Atlantic Freighter Vessel Specifications". Archived from the original on 2008-03-02. Retrieved 2008-01-17.
- "MV Atlantic Freighter sold, renamed Pelagitis". The Western Star. 26 March 2010. Retrieved 17 June 2010.
- "You searched for 7528611". Shipping Database. 2010. Retrieved 18 June 2010.
- "Social and Economic Impact of Marine Atlantic Drop Trailer Service". Transport Canada. November 30, 2005. Archived from the original on April 20, 2007. Retrieved 2008-01-17.
- "Asbestos warning on ferry prompts health tests". CBC News. November 19, 2007. Retrieved 2008-01-17.
- "Asbestos testing to begin on Marine Atlantic workers". CBC News. November 27, 2007. Retrieved 2008-01-17.
- "Persian Gulf crew recognized by United States government". Government of Newfoundland and Labrador. April 18, 1996. Retrieved 2008-01-17.
- "XVIII AIRBORNE CORPS DESERT STORM CHRONOLOGY March 1991". United States Department of Defense. March 1, 1991. Retrieved 2008-01-17.