MV Discovery Sun
Discovery Sun moored in Port Everglades
|Name:||MV Discovery Sun|
|Owner:||Discovery Cruise Line|
|Operator:||Discovery Cruise Line|
|Port of registry:||Bahamas|
|Identification:||IMO number: 6815158|
|Length:||134 metres (440 ft)|
|Beam:||21 metres (69 ft)|
The MV Discovery Sun was the flagship and sole ship of Discovery Cruise Lines, a Miami-based tour operator. She was built in Lübeck, Germany in 1968 and was renovated in 1995 and then updated in 2000. She previously was named Scandinavian Sun for day cruise operator Sea Escape.
The MV Discovery Sun provided daily service (except Wednesdays) from Fort Lauderdale to Grand Bahama Island and acted as a passenger cruise ferry service for both Bahamians and tourists. It has provided consistent service to Grand Bahama, while also assisting with hurricane relief to the island.
Facilities on board the Discovery Sun included two dining rooms, four lounges, one casino, live bands/calypso/disco, video arcade, swimming pool, sun decks, live entertainment & shows, jackpot bingo, duty-free gift shops, kids' club and cabins.
End of life
In September 2011, Discovery Cruise Lines ceased operations, citing high operating costs and lack of profitability. The MV Discovery Sun was subsequently offered for sale,but there was no buyer or charterer.Discovery Sun was broken up for scrap.
- Discovery Cruise Line Website - archive.org copy
- Blog posting about the ship
- Professional photographs from shipspotting.com
- "Discovery Sun (6815158)". Equasis. French Ministry for Transport. Retrieved 2012-08-27. (registration required (. ))
- "Discovery Cruise Line - closed". Yelp.
- "Discovery Cruise Line to cease operations Sept. 6".