The Passion Within poster
|Directed by||Menno Meyjes|
|Produced by||Víctor Albarrán, Carola Ash, Andrés Vicente Gómez, Stephen Margolis, Albert Martinez Martin|
|Written by||Menno Meyjes|
|Music by||Dan Jones|
|Distributed by||3L Filmverleih
HandMade Films International
Manolete, also known as The Passion Within in the United Kingdom, Blood and Passion in Canada, and A Matador's Mistress in the United States, is a 2008 biopic of bullfighter Manuel Laureano Rodríguez Sánchez, better known as Manolete. The film was written and directed by Menno Meyjes. This is the first film from HandMade Films since Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998).
The Menno Meyjes directed drama stars Adrien Brody as Spanish bullfighter Manolete, in a film that covers his late life love affair with actress Lupe Sino (Penélope Cruz) before he was gored to death in the bull ring. Sino's communist politics turned their affair into a scandal in the early 1940s, especially after discovering her previous marriage to a PCE member. The film begins with Manolete's last day in Linares.
- Adrien Brody as Manuel Laureano Rodríguez Sánchez, a.k.a. "Manolete"
- Penélope Cruz as Antoñita "Lupe" Sino
- Santiago Segura as Guillermo
- Ann Mitchell as Doña Angustias
- Josep Linuesa as Enrique de Ahumada
- Juan Echanove as Pepe Cámara
- Pedro Casablanc as General
- Tomas Rozzi as the 'dealer'
- Nacho Aldeguer as Luis Miguel Dominguín
- Diego Martín
- Berta de la Dehesa
- Rubén Ochandiano
- Omar Muñoz as young Manolete
- Denise Moreno as girl
- Cayetano Rivera Ordóñez as Torero
Despite a planned release date of 2007, the film faced several production delays and a spiralling budget. Although it has been scheduled for a theatrical release in France on 31 March 2010, Deadline's Mike Fleming reports that, "Even though the film stars two Oscar winners, it never found any takers for a theatrical run." The film has been shelved since 2007.
In April 2011 - Xenon Pictures CEO Leigh Savidge announced that on June 7, 2011 Xenon Pictures would release a newly edited version of A Matador's Mistress on DVD.
Gravitas Ventures announced on March 14, 2011 that it has acquired VOD and digital rights to Manolete. Gravitas, which is licensing the film from Viva Pictures, plans to release the film on demand via cable, satellite, telco and online in June 2011. "We are confident no one is better positioned to exploit this epic high-value production on a digital platform," said Viva president Victor Elizalde.
Although bullfighting scenes were shot expensively without bulls, animal rights activists have encouraged a boycott of the film. Protestors reject what they perceive to be a glamorous image of a matador on film. "It is inadmissible to release a film in which the hero is a matador," said the Alliance Anticorrida, a French anti-bullfighting group, in a message to its 20,000 members. "If they are properly informed, a great number of spectators will avoid this new film."
The film has received very few reviews, and has not as yet got a critical score on Rotten Tomatoes, though it has a 39% audience score based on 500 reviews (as of September 2015), together indicating generally negative reviews. It is not listed on Metacritic.
The film was shot in 2005, four years before Cruz won her Oscar for Vicky Cristina Barcelona.
- Córdoba, Andalusia, Spain
- Alcoy, Alicante, Comunidad Valenciana, Spain
- Alicante, Comunidad Valenciana, Spain
- Madrid, Spain
- El Puerto de Santa María, Cadiz, Spain
- Sanlúcar de Barrameda, Cadiz, Spain
- "Penelope Cruz and Adrien Brody Steam Up The Screen In Long-Awaited "A Matador's Mistress"". PR Newswire. 5 April 2011. Retrieved 5 April 2011.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (14 March 2011). "Adrien Brody & Penelope Cruz’s ‘Manolete’ aka ‘Blood & Passion’ aka ‘A Matador’s Mistress’ Gets Date". indie Wire. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- Fleming, Mike (14 March 2011). "Adrien Brody-Penelope Cruz Pic 'A Matador's Mistress' Bypasses Theatrical For VOD Release By Gravitas Ventures". Deadline. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- Blood, bulls and boycott: Manolete strikes again The Independent
- Punter, Jennie (14 March 2011). "Gravitas Ventures signs Brody, Cruz film". Variety. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "Animal rights activists condemn bullfighting film Manolete" The Telegraph. 30 March 2010
- Official website
- Manolete at the Internet Movie Database
- Adrien Brody discusses preparing for the role with matador Cayetano Rivera Ordóñez in the March 2008 issue of Men's Vogue