|Institution||Johns Hopkins University
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley (BS, 1978)
MIT Sloan School of Management (PhD, 1984)
Maqbool Dada is a professor at Carey Business School, Johns Hopkins University, with expertise in the areas of operations management, healthcare, and marketing. He is also a core faculty member at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine’s Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality.
Maqbool Dada earned his BS in industrial engineering and operations research from University of California, Berkeley in 1978, and PhD in operations management from the MIT Sloan School of Management in 1984. Prior to joining Johns Hopkins University in 2009, Dada served as Professor of Management at Krannert School of Management, Purdue University. He was also on the faculty of Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, and University of Illinois at Chicago.
Dada is known for his work in supply chain management, pricing, inventory theory, and healthcare. He serves or has served on the editorial board of major operations management journals, including Management Science, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, IIE Transactions, and Productions and Operations Management.
His research paper entitled "Pricing and the Newsvendor Problem" and published in 1999, is the No.1 most read article and the No. 7 most cited in the Operations Research journal, and has been cited more than 1300 times as of June 2015.
Another paper co-authored by Dada, entitled "A newsvendor’s Procurement Problem when Suppliers Are Unreliable" and published in 2007, is the No. 3 most cited article in the Manufacturing & Service Operations Management journal.
Areas of research
Dada's research covers various aspects of operations strategy, in particular, pricing, postponement, and learning. His papers "Pricing and the Newsvendor Problem: A Review with Extensions" and "Price Versus Production Postponement: Capacity and Competition" are among the most cited papers on operations strategy. In 2010, his 2007 paper "A Newsvendor's Procurement Problem When Suppliers are Unreliable," published in Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, was selected as a finalist for the M&SOM Best Paper Award.
Dada's research in health care initially focuses on reimbursement policy, for example, on Medicare prospective payment system, and later involves applications of Operations Management to healthcare delivery.
Dada is among the pioneering researchers in the field of marketing-operations interfaces. In this area, his research covers various topics including durable goods, demand substitution, distribution and pricing, and consumers' waiting experience.
- "Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality Faculty".
- "Meet the New Faculty". ONE Magazine. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- Petruzzi, N. C.; Dada, M. (1999). "Pricing and the Newsvendor Problem: A Review with Extensions". Operations Research. 47 (2): 183. doi:10.1287/opre.47.2.183.
- "Most Read Articles". INFORMS. 19 December 2015. Retrieved 19 December 2015.
- "Most Cited Articles". INFORMS. 19 December 2015. Retrieved 19 December 2015.
- "Google Scholar -- Articles citing "Pricing and the newsvendor problem"". 18 December 2015. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Dada, M.; Petruzzi, N. C.; Schwarz, L. B. (2007). "A Newsvendor's Procurement Problem when Suppliers Are Unreliable". Manufacturing & Service Operations Management. 9: 9. doi:10.1287/msom.1060.0128.
- M&SOM (18 December 2015). "M&SOM: Most Cited Articles". INFORMS. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Van Mieghem, J. A.; Dada, M. (1999). "Price Versus Production Postponement: Capacity and Competition". Management Science. 45 (12): 1639. doi:10.1287/mnsc.45.12.1631.
- "M&SOM Best Paper Award". INFORMS. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- Dada, M.; White, W. D. (1999). "Evaluating Financial Risk in the Medicare Prospective Payment System". Management Science. 45 (3): 316. doi:10.1287/mnsc.45.3.316.
- Dada, M.; White, W. D.; Stokes, H. H.; Kurzeja, P. (1992). "Prospective Payment for Psychiatric Services". Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law. 17 (3): 483. doi:10.1215/03616878-17-3-483.
- Williams, K. A.; Chambers, C. G.; Dada, M.; Hough, D.; Aron, R.; Ulatowski, J. A. (2012). "Using Process Analysis to Assess the Impact of Medical Education on the Delivery of Pain Services". Anesthesiology. 116 (4): 931–939. doi:10.1097/ALN.0b013e31824a88d0. PMID 22329970.
- "Designing Cyclic Schedules for Outpatient Appointments in an Academic Medical Center" (PDF). umn.edu. 24 October 2012. Retrieved 20 December 2013.
- Dada, M.; Srikanth, K. N. (1990). "Monopolistic Pricing and the Learning Curve: An Algorithmic Approach". Operations Research. 38 (4): 656. doi:10.1287/opre.38.4.656.
- Anupindi, R.; Dada, M.; Gupta, S. (1998). "Estimation of Consumer Demand with Stock-Out Based Substitution: An Application to Vending Machine Products". Marketing Science. 17 (4): 406. doi:10.1287/mksc.17.4.406.
- Dada, M.; Srikanth, K. N. (1987). "Pricing Policies for Quantity Discounts". Management Science. 33 (10): 1247. doi:10.1287/mnsc.33.10.1247.
- Kumar, P.; Kalwani, M. U.; Dada, M. (1997). "The Impact of Waiting Time Guarantees on Customers' Waiting Experiences". Marketing Science. 16 (4): 295. doi:10.1287/mksc.16.4.295.