This biographical article is written like a résumé. (March 2013)
|Alma mater||Babeș-Bolyai University, Faculty of Chemistry, Cluj-Napoca|
|Fields||Physical chemistry of oxide systems|
|Institutions||“Ilie Murgulescu” Institute of Physical Chemistry, Bucharest, Romania|
Dr. Zaharescu was a Senior Researcher and Head of Department at the “Ilie Murgulescu” Institute of Physical Chemistry of the Romanian Academy in Bucharest. In 2001, she was elected a corresponding member of the Romanian Academy and became a full member in June 2015. On December 1, 2017, she was awarded a Knight of the Order of the Star of Romania.
She was one of the 100 women scientists featured in "Successful Women Ceramic and Glass Scientists and Engineers: 100 Inspirational Profiles"  by Lynnette Madsen (2016).
Her scientific interests include:
- Physical chemistry of oxide systems (reactions mechanisms, thermal phase equilibria, structure-properties correlations).
- Sol-gel science (sol-gel chemistry, nanostructured oxide films and powders, inorganic-organic hybrids, nanocomposites, oxide nanotubes). She introduced and developed the field of sol-gel research in Romania.
- Vitreous oxide systems with special properties (thermally and chemically stable)
- graduated from the Babeș-Bolyai University, Faculty of Chemistry, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
- received her Ph.D from the Institute of Chemistry, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
- More than 350 scientific papers from which over 250 published in internationally recognized ISI journals, including J. Sol-Gel Sci. Technol.; J. Eur. Ceram. Soc.; J. Am. Ceram. Soc.; J. Mater. Chem.; J. Mater. Sci.; J. Mater. Res.; Mater. Chem. Phys.; J. Non-Cryst. Solids; J. Therm. Anal. Calorim.; Appl. Surf. Sci.; J. Nanopart. Res.; Ceram. Int.; Thin Solid Films; Rev. Roum. Chim., etc. as well as 3 patents and 8 book chapters edited by the Romanian Academy and international publishers.
- International research projects in collaboration with Davis University, USA (funded by NST-USA), National Technical University of Athens, Greece (funded by NATO) and universities from Czech Republic, Bulgaria, France, Slovenia
- Member of the International Society of Sol-Gel Science
- Member of the American Ceramic Society – Basic Research Division
- Member of the American Nano Society
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology.
- In 2016, Dr. Zaharescu published 1D Oxide Nanostructures Obtained by Sol-Gel and Hydrothermal Methods, as part of the SpringerBriefs series offered by the Springer Publishing Company.
- 1971 - Gheorghe Spacu Award, Romanian Academy
- 1982 - Scientific Merit Medal, Romania
- 1983 - Scientific Order Third Degree, Romania
- 2007 - Honor Award and Gheorghe Spacu Medal, Romanian Society of Chemistry
- 2017 - Knight of the Order of the Star of Romania
- Dictionarul "Membrii Academiei Romane 1866-2010", Editura Enciclopedica, 2010, page 1142.
- Institute of Physical Chemistry - Research team staff http://www.icf.ro/L7.htm#staff; retrieved on February 10, 2013
- Institute of Physical Chemistry - Laboratory of oxide materials science http://icf.getion.ro/ ; retrieved on February 10, 2013
- Second Nanoforum Report: Technology in the Candidate Countries, March 2004, page 187; "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2004-01-18. Retrieved 2013-02-02.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link) ; retrieved on February 10, 2013
- Chemical Sciences Section of the Romanian Academy http://www.acad.ro/sectii/sectia05_chimie/chim_membri.htm; retrieved on June 23, 2015
- https://www.agerpres.ro/politica/2017/12/01/iohannis-a-decorat-personalitati-din-domeniul-medical-si-al-cercetarii-18-20-54; retrieved on December 2, 2017
- Madsen, Lynnette: Successful Women Ceramic and Glass Scientists and Engineers: 100 Inspirational Profiles - http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1118733606.html; retrieved on March 20, 2016
- Jury composition for the "Women in Science" Unesco - L'Oreal Award, 3rd edition, Romania, 2012; http://www.cnr-unesco.ro/ro/Prezentare%20juriu%202012.pdf; retrieved on February 10, 2013
- Interview in Romanian newspaper "Curentul" , Nr 159(3832), Friday, August 10, 2007; http://arhiva.curentul.ro:81/2007old/curentul.php?numar=20070810&art=59826 ; retrieved on February 23, 2013
- Publications list on journalogy.net http://www.journalogy.net/PublicationList?srcType=4&desType=2&srcID=6867&desID=13384912; retrieved on February 10, 2013
- Publications list on researchgate.com https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Maria_Zaharescu/; retrieved on February 10, 2013
- ResearchID list of publications http://www.researcherid.com/ProfileView.action?returnCode=ROUTER.Unauthorized&queryString=KG0UuZjN5WnCvwh8FIuxUg7ZefdjyMqCmGJsjQ7wrXs%253D&SrcApp=CR&Init=Yes; retrieved on February 10, 2013
- List of publications http://libra.msra.cn/PublicationList?srcType=8&desType=2&srcID=41892&desID=13384912; retrieved on February 10, 2013
- Romanian Academy list of books for 2012; http://www.ear.ro/carti.php; retrieved on February 10, 2013
- Composition of the editorial board of the Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology; https://www.springer.com/materials/special+types/journal/10971?detailsPage=editorialBoard; retrieved on February 23, 2013
- https://www.amazon.com/Nanostructures-Obtained-Hydrothermal-SpringerBriefs-Materials-ebook/dp/B01LAE1EK4/ref=mt_kindle?_encoding=UTF8&me=; retrieved on December 2, 2017
- https://www.springer.com/gp/authors-editors/book-authors-editors/springerbriefs; retrieved on December 2, 2017
- Romanian Chemistry Society Bulletin 1/2011, page 32; http://www.schr.org.ro/doc/Buletinul%20Societatii%20de%20Chimie%20din%20ROMANIA%20-%20Nr.%20XVIII%20-%201,2011.pdf; retrieved on February 10, 2013
- https://125.agerpres.ro/politica/2017/12/01/iohannis-a-decorat-personalitati-din-domeniul-medical-si-al-cercetarii-18-20-54; retrieved December 2, 2017