Mark C. Hersam
|Alma mater||University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
University of Cambridge
|Known for||Density Gradient Ultracentrifugation (DGU) of carbon nanotubes|
Contributions in the fields of nanotechnology and nanochemistry.
|Awards||Materials Research Society Outstanding Young Investigator Award (2010)|
SES Research Young Investigator Award, Electrochemical Society (2010)
Peter Mark Memorial Award (2006)
TMS Robert Lansing Hardy Award (2006)
Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (2005)
|Fields||Chemistry, Materials Science and Engineering|
|Doctoral students||Nathan Guisinger|
Mark C. Hersam is a professor of Chemistry and Materials Science Engineering at Northwestern University (2000–present) who, according to the National Science Foundation, has made "major breakthrough[s]"  in the field of nanotechnology. He is a 2014 recipient of the MacArthur "Genius" Award and a 1996 Marshall Scholar. He is also an Associate Editor of ACS Nano.
Education and early academic work
Mark Hersam attended Downers Grove South High School in Downers Grove, IL where he was Valedictorian and an Eagle Scout. He then went on to receive his B.S. in Electrical Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1996. Upon winning the Marshall Scholarship, Hersam received a M.Phil. in Microelectronic Engineering and Semiconductor Physics from the University of Cambridge in 1997. His Ph.D was granted from the Electrical Engineering Department at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2000.
After graduating from UIUC, Hersam was an intern at the Argonne National Laboratory where he did research in the Energy Technology Division studying the energy-related applications of surface acoustic-wave-based sensing.
While at Cambridge University, Hersam was advised by Mark Welland and the two co-authored the paper "Potentiometry and repair of electrically stressed nanowires using atomic force microscopy" in the journal of Applied Physics Letters.
As head of the Hersam Group at Northwestern University, Hersam has authored more than 137 peer-reviewed publications studying hybrid hard and soft nanoscale materials for applications in information technology, biotechnology, nanotechnology, and alternative energy.
Corporate connections and applications
Honors and achievements
- Teacher of the Year in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University 2003, 2007, 2009, 2010
- Materials Research Society Outstanding Young Investigator Award, 2010
- SES Research Young Investigator Award, Electrochemical Society, 2010
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 2009
- Young Alumni Achievement Award, ECE Department, UIUC, 2007
- AVS Peter Mark Memorial Award, 2006
- TMS Robert Lansing Hardy Award, 2006
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers, 2005
- Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award, 2005
- Army Research Office Young Investigator Award, 2005
- Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowship, 2005
- Northwestern University Associated Student Government Faculty Honor Roll, 2004
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2002
- Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation, Beckman Young Investigators Award, 2001
- Gregory Stillman Semiconductor Research Award, 2000
- American Vacuum Society Graduate Research Award, 1999
- Searle Center for Teaching Excellence Junior Fellow, 2001
- IBM Distinguished Fellowship, 1999
- Koehler Graduate Fellowship, 1998
- National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship, 1997
- British Marshall Scholarship, 1996
Professional organizations and societies
- Co-Chair of the NSF International Study of Nanoscale Science and Engineering, 2009-
- AVS Nanometer-scale Science and Technology Division Executive Board Member, 2003-2005, 2007-2009
- Review of Scientific Instruments Editorial Board Member, 2001-2003
- Nanopatterning Synergistic Research Group Leader, Nanoscale Science and Engineering Center, 2001-
- Director of the Nanoscale Science and Engineering Center Research Experience for Undergraduates, 2001-
- National Science Foundation SBIR, IMR/MRI, MRSEC and NUE Panelist
- Member of IEEE, MRS, AVS, AIP, APS, ACS, TMS, ASEE, AAAS
Hersam hosts Undergraduate Research Experience opportunity for students each summer.
Notable Carbon Nanotube Scientists:
Notable Northwestern University Professors:
- National Science Foundation
- https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/17/arts/macarthur-awards-go-to-21-diverse-fellows.html New York Times 2014 Sep 17
- iCARE Profile Archived 2011-07-26 at the Wayback Machine
- http://www.marshallscholarship.org Marshall Scholarship
- Discussion on UIUC Undergraduate Research Archived 2011-07-19 at the Wayback Machine
- Professor David Ruzic Archived 2011-07-19 at the Wayback Machine
- Professor Joseph Lyding
- "M. C. Hersam, A. C. F. Hoole, S. J. O'Shea, and M. E. Welland, "Potentiometry and repair of electrically stressed nanowires using atomic force microscopy," Appl. Phys. Lett., 72, 915 (1998)". Archived from the original on 2011-07-22. Retrieved 2011-02-03.
- Synergy (Beckman Institute - Hersam Interview) Archived 2011-07-17 at the Wayback Machine
- Listing of Hersam Group publications
- Mark Hersam Publications Profile
- Liu, Xiaolong; Wei, Zonghui; Balla, Itamar; Mannix, Andrew J.; Guisinger, Nathan P.; Luijten, Erik; Hersam, Mark C. (2017-02-01). "Self-assembly of electronically abrupt borophene/organic lateral heterostructures". Science Advances. 3 (2): e1602356. Bibcode:2017SciA....3E2356L. doi:10.1126/sciadv.1602356. ISSN 2375-2548. PMC 5321450. PMID 28261662.
- IBM Nanoscience
- Mark Hersam - Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering Listing
- Mark Hersam Receives Outstanding Young Investigator Award, February 11, 2010
- Argonne National Laboratory - Awards Received by CEES Researchers
- UIUC Young Alumni Achievement Award, 2007
- "Peter Mark Memorial Award". Archived from the original on 2011-07-19. Retrieved 2011-02-05.
- "Robert Lansing Hardy Award, 2006". Archived from the original on 2012-03-16. Retrieved 2011-02-05.
- NCLT News, Wednesday, 02 August 2006
- Northwestern University Bio
- AVS Profile Archived 2011-07-19 at the Wayback Machine
- "Mark C. Hersam". Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- Gregory Stillman Semiconductor Research Award
- AVS Graduate Research Award Archived 2011-07-19 at the Wayback Machine
- Hersam Group Profile
- AVS NSTD Executive Board Listing Archived 2011-07-25 at the Wayback Machine
- Review of Scientific Instruments Editorial Information
- NSEC - Northwestern University
- Northwestern University REU Program
- "Announcement of U.S. Science Envoys". United States Department of State. 26 February 2016. Retrieved 19 May 2016.