|Date of birth||11 July 1995|
|Place of birth||Scotland|
|2013||→ Albion Rovers (loan)||3||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20:16, 24 October 2014 (UTC).
In the final League match of the 2010–11 season, Shankland came off the bench to become the youngest ever play for Ayr United at just 15 years and 300 days old, the record previously held by Stewart Kean at 17 years and 56 days. At the start of the 2012-13 season, Shankland broke an other one of Stewart Kean's records, becoming the youngest ever goalscorer at 17 years and 17 days old, in a 3–1 away defeat at East Stirlingshire in the Challenge Cup. This record was broken by Alan Forrest the following season.
Shankland left Ayr at the end of the 2013–14 season after turning down a new contract.
- "Ayr United Youngster Mark Shankland Makes Club History as Youngest Ever Player". Bleacher Report.com. 10 May 2011.
- "Youngest Ever Player to play for Ayr United". Ayr United Football Academy. 9 May 2011.
- "Mark Shankland Becomes Ayr United's Youngest Ever Goal Scorer". Ayrshire Post.net. 3 August 2012.
- "Sixteen-Year-Old Alan Forrest Becomes Ayr United's Youngest Ever Scorer". Ayrshire Post.net. 2 August 2013.
- "Albion Rovers v Annan Athletic Preview". AlbionRoversFC.com. 8 November 2013. Archived from the original on 4 December 2013.
- "Albion Rovers 2-0 Annan Athletic". BBC Sport.co.uk. 9 November 2013.
- "Roberts will bring in new talent". Ayr Advertiser. 19 July 2014. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- "Ayr United Youngster, Mark Shankland, Called into Scotland Squad". 90 Soccer. Retrieved 29 November 2013.