This biographical article is written like a résumé. (December 2016)
|Alma mater||The Wharton School
University of Pennsylvania
Mark Zandi is chief economist of Moody's Analytics, where he directs economic research. He is co-founder of Economy.com, which was acquired by Moody's Analytics in 2005. Prior to founding Economy.com, Zandi was a regional economist at Chase Econometrics.
Zandi’s broad research interests encompass macroeconomics, financial markets and public policy. His recent research has focused on mortgage finance reform and the determinants of mortgage foreclosure and personal bankruptcy. He has analyzed the economic impact of various tax and government spending policies and assessed the appropriate monetary policy response to bubbles in asset markets.
He has been a guest on CNBC, NPR, Meet the Press, CNN, and various other national networks and news programs. Zandi is also a regular op-ed contributor to The Washington Post and The Philadelphia Inquirer.
Zandi's analysis of the impact of an economic stimulus package on the United States economy was cited by Christina Romer and Jared Bernstein in their report on President Barack Obama's proposed American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan, which became the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.
Early Life and education
Mark Zandi was born in Atlanta, Georgia, and is of Iranian descent.  The son of Professor Iraj Zandi, he grew up in Radnor, Pennsylvania. His surname of "Zandi" comes from the Zand dynasty (formally known as the Zandieh dynasty), which ruled southern and south-central Iran (1750–1794) in the eighteenth century.
Zandi is the author of the following books:
- Paying the Price: Ending the Great Recession and Beginning a New American Century
- Financial Shock: A 360° Look at the Subprime Mortgage Implosion, and How to Avoid the Next Financial Crisis
- Before the House Financial Services Committee to discuss Puerto Rico's debt crisis - February 25, 2016
- Written for the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing "Puerto Rico’s Fiscal Problems: Examining the Source and Exploring the Solution” - December 1, 2015
- Before the Joint Economic Committee: Unwinding Quantitative Easing: How the Fed Should Promote Stable Prices, Economic Growth and Job Creation - March 26, 2014
- Before the Senate Budget Committee: The 2014 Outlook: Moving From Constant Crises to Broad-Based Growth - Feb 04, 2014
- Privatizing Fannie and Freddie: Be Careful What You Ask For 
- The Case for Lower FHA Premiums 
- Housing Finance Reform Steps Forward 
- The FHA Admirably Fills the Void
- All testimonies
- NBC News
- Zandi, Mark (January 4, 2013). "Housing’s renaissance could lead an economic recovery". The Washington Post.
- "Mark Zandi". The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved October 14, 2016.
- Romer, Bernstein PDF
- Time Magazine
- Amazon.com - Paying the Price: Ending the Great Recession and Beginning a New American Century
- NY Books Review of Financial Shock
- Joint Economic Committee - March 26, 2014
- Senate Budget Committee - Feb 04, 2014
- Privatizing Fannie and Freddie: Be Careful What You Ask For
- The Case for Lower FHA Premiums
- Housing Finance Reform Steps Forward
- The FHA Admirably Fills the Void
- Congressional Testimonies written by Mark Zandi
- Official website
- Mark Zandi's homepage at Economy.com
- Economy.com, a subsidiary of Moody's Analytics
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Mark Zandi on Charlie Rose
- Mark Zandi on IMDb
- Works by or about Mark Zandi in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Review of Zandi's book Financial Shock: A 360° Look at the Subprime Mortgage Implosion, and How to Avoid the Next Financial Crisis from The New York Review of Books