This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
||It has been suggested that Mobile marketing automation be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since April 2015.|
Marketing automation refers to software platforms and technologies designed for marketing departments and organizations to more effectively market on multiple channels online (such as email, social media, websites, etc.) and automate repetitive tasks.
Marketing departments, consultants and part-time marketing employees benefit by specifying criteria and outcomes for tasks and processes which are then interpreted, stored and executed by software, which increases efficiency and reduces human error. Originally focused on email marketing automation, marketing automation refers to a broad range of automation and analytic tools for marketing especially inbound marketing. Marketing Automation platforms are used as a hosted or web-based solution, and no software installation is required by a customer.
The use of a marketing automation platform is to streamline sales and marketing organizations by replacing high-touch, repetitive manual processes with automated solutions.
Marketing Automation is a platform that marketers use to plan, coordinate, manage and measure all of their marketing campaigns, both online and offline.
Marketing Automation is a subset of customer relationship management (CRM) that focuses on the definition, segmentation, scheduling and tracking of marketing campaigns. The use of marketing automation makes processes that would otherwise have been performed manually much more efficient and makes new processes possible.
There are three categories of software:[clarification needed]
- Marketing intelligence
- Uses tracking codes in social media, email and webpages to track the behavior of anyone interested in a product or service to gain a measure of intent. It can record which social media group or thread they followed, which link was clicked on in an email or which search term was used to access a website. Multiple link analysis can then track buyer behavior - following links and multiple threads related to product A but not B will show an interest only in A. This allows more accurately targeted response and the development of a nurturing program specifically targeted towards their interest and vertical market. Due to its interactive nature this has been described as Marketing Automation 2.0.
- Marketing automation
- Has a focus on moving leads from the top of the marketing funnel through to becoming sales-ready leads at the bottom of the funnel. Prospects are scored, based on their activities, and receive targeted content and messaging, thus nurturing them from first interest through to sale. Commonly used in business-to-business (B2B), business-to-government (B2G), or longer sales cycle business-to-consumer (B2C) sales cycles, Marketing Automation involves multiple areas of marketing and is really the marriage of email marketing technology coupled with a structured sales process.
- Advanced workflow automation
- Encompasses automation of internal marketing processes. These include budgeting and planning, workflow and approvals, the marketing calendar, internal collaboration, digital asset creation and management and essentially everything that supports the operational efficiency of the internal marketing function. Typically these systems require a CRM or COM administrator to set up a complex series of rules to trigger action items for internal sales and marketing professionals to manually process (designing files, sending letters, sending email campaigns). This type of system increases marketer's ability to deliver relevant content to relevant individuals at relevant times. Limitations may apply, based on the human resource capacity of an organization and their level of commitment to the tasks as they are assigned.
In order to effectively aid marketers in fully understanding customers and subsequently developing a strategic marketing plan, marketing automation tools (MAT) are designed to perform four key tasks:
- Development and analysis of marketing campaigns and customers
- Management of marketing campaigns
- Appropriate customer data organization and storage
- Moving contacts from leads to customers
It is typical of marketing automation platforms to offer a content management system, hosted webforms, landing pages, analytics, and email platform.
- Demand generation
- Inbound marketing automation
- Lead scoring
- Outbound marketing
- Online marketing platform
- Enterprise marketing management
- Real-time marketing
- Predictive analytics
- Customer retention
- Data Integration
- Mobile marketing automation
- Koetsier, John. "Fast-growing marketing automation still has only 3% penetration in non-tech companies". http://venturebeat.com. Venture Beat. Retrieved 9 January 2015. External link in
- "What is Marketing Automation: Top 10 FAQ's". McRae and Company. 7 May 2012. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- "What is Marketing Automation? 21 Pros Weigh In". RevEngine Insider. Retrieved January 2015. Check date values in:
- "Advanced Marketing Automation" (PDF). SAS. Retrieved 31 March 2011.
- "5 Ways to Leverage Marketing Automation Solutions for Best Results". MarTech Advisor. Retrieved 14 February 2015.