This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Developer(s)||Red Sweater Software|
4.4.13 / May 6, 2021
|Operating system||Mac OS X|
MarsEdit was originally developed as a component of NetNewsWire, a popular news aggregator for Mac OS X, which, in the 1.0 series, included a simple weblog editor. During the development of NetNewsWire 2.0, the developers decided to move the blog editor functionality to a new application. The resulting application, MarsEdit 1.0, was released on December 10, 2004.
With the acquisition of NetNewsWire by NewsGator in 2005, the future of MarsEdit was uncertain for a time. On November 4 of 2005, it was revealed that MarsEdit development would be continued by Gus Mueller of Flying Meat. In February 2007, MarsEdit was purchased by Red Sweater Software, and is developed by Red Sweater's owner, Daniel Jalkut.
- MarsEdit 2.0 was released in September 2007, with a refined user interface and several new features including Flickr integration.
- MarsEdit 3.0 was released in May 2010 and includes WYSIWYG editing, enhanced WordPress support, and image library integration.
- MarsEdit 4.0
- MarsEdit 4.5
- Bookmarklets for sending a page from your browser to MarsEdit
- Image and file uploading
- Preview templates
- Spell checking
- Custom tags
- Sends updates notices to blo.gs, Technorati, and Weblogs.com
- AppleScript support
- XML-RPC console for debugging server problems
- Cohen, Peter. "Ranchero offers MarsEdit, NetNewsWire 2.0 beta". Macworld. Macworld. Retrieved 29 May 2022.
- Simmons, Brent. "inessential: MarsEdit 1.0 ships!". inessential.com. Retrieved 29 May 2022.
- Brent Simmons. "Meet the new MarsEdit Programmer".
- "Red Sweater Acquires MarsEdit Blogging Software". redsweater.com. Retrieved 29 May 2022.
- "MarsEdit 2 - Powerful Blog Publishing For Your Mac". redsweater.com.
- "What's New In MarsEdit 3?". redsweater.com. Retrieved 2022-01-06.
- "MarsEdit 4 - What's New?". 2020-10-19. Archived from the original on 19 October 2020. Retrieved 2022-01-06.
- "MarsEdit - What's New?". redsweater.com. Retrieved 2022-01-06.